Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bird netting and cabbage moths

Posted by kari_newgardener 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 1, 11 at 18:30

I have a question about controlling cabbage moths on broccoli. I just transplanted my seedlings outside last week and it looks like the cabbage moths have already found them. I saw a white butterfly, which I believe is a cabbage moth, in my garden yesterday.

I rigged up some bird netting to keep the birds away from my lettuce seedlings and just received a floating row cover in the mail today that I ordered.

When I got the row cover, it says it is a frost blanket. I thought I could use it to keep insects away, but I'm afraid it will make the broccoli, lettuce and kale seedlings that are in my garden now too hot.

Will the bird netting keep the cabbage moths away or should I use the row cover? Will the row cover make the seedlings too hot? It's already hitting the mid 70s here in temperature with an occasional day around 80.

Any help would be appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: my web page

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bird netting and cabbage moths

They will get through the bird netting. Get some row cover.

o

Row cover material is sold in several - approx. 5 or 6 - different weights. It ranges from the lightweight "inset barrier" (which is what you need) down to 20 degree frost protection (which is quite thick).

I agree that bird netting won't prevent cabbage moths laying eggs.

Dave

o

If you have the wrong row cover, just go down to a fabric store and get some wide tulle. It should come as wide as 108" and probably be white but it'll work. Get enough to double it because it's easier to handle that way. You can tape the edges with something like masking tape to keep it from tearing or make your own bias tape and use that if you sew.

o

Thank you everybody! Dave, I didn't know the row covers came in different weights. Thank you:)

And Shebear, that is a fabulous idea with the tulle! I'm off to Joanne Fabrics today to find some:)

Thanks a bunch everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here