Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting onions with snow coming?

Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 25, 11 at 18:45

This is probably a stupid question, but I have some onion plants that I was going to plant this weekend but there is snow in the forecast for sunday. They are calling for 2 inches.

I can only plant on the weekends so it's either tomorrow before the snow or a week from now.

What should I do?
And how long can these plants hang on. I got them about a week ago (earlier than I expected) and I've been keeping them in a cool dark place - my garage. I'm told they're pretty tough, but what's the life expectancy of them?

Thanks!
Bart

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting onions with snow coming?

About 3 years ago, I planted my onion plants in early April, and the following weekend it got down to about 15 degrees, and they were ok, in fact, that was a better crop than I had in either '09 or '10. They suffered some leaf/tip burn, but grew out of it quickly.

It probably won't hurt them. The snow itself isn't an issue, it's extreme cold that is more of an issue. Can you cover them with a thermal blanket or something?

o

I think you will be fine. The ground has had a chance to warm up the past few weeks so the frost won't penetrate down the few inches you will plant them.

o

snow insulates. plants do not die under the snow. The part above the snow might die.

Onions are normally grown over the winter. planted in the fall and harvested in May in the spring.

Some onions will survive and grow over the coldest winters up north. Scallions are like that.

Tomatoes and peppers are very delicate and I have had them survive snow many times. Onions are hardy and tough with cold.

If you seeded your onions indoors and they are not outdoor hardened they might die. If they are purchased plants I would not worry.

o

Garden dawgie said the main issue.
If your onions are hardened up, the there is nothong to worry about. all plants in onions family can over winter under snow and in frigid cold weather. So do brassica family of plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here