Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justine_butterbean

Tomatoes and Broccoli...so unhappy together?

justine_butterbean
15 years ago

New member here! I have a few questions about companion planting.

I recently built a new home, so my garden spot is a work in progress. (Its only 20X10 because of red clay that requires double digging. I've worked in plenty of rotted hay and petrified manure, but only to a depth of 8 inches or so. Plus, there is no spot on the property that is more than 30 ft from a black walnut...*boo hiss*)

Because the garden is still small, I have limited area to space plants. The two main crops I want to grow are tomatoes and broccoli. All the companion planting guides I've read say those two repel one another...but I have yet to read why or what the effects are. Does anyone have any experience with planting the two close together. However, I did notice that both like onions. Could I plant onions as a barrier between the two? I think that I could spare 3 feet between the two and maybe tuck the onions in there. Anyone have any suggestions for me? I know you experts will have tons of great advice! :)

Comments (9)

• anney
    15 years ago

JB

That's a good question, and the answer is that there's something in the brassica family that stunts tomato growth. From the link below.

=====
    Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage and cauliflower all retard tomato growth, and share some pests in common.
    =====

There are several plants that negatively affect the growth of other specific plants. It's called allelopathy. Here's more information about this phenomenon:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/HS186

I don't think onions would work as a barrier crop, since the chemical reaction occurs and spreads in the soil. Maybe your solution is to grow one or the other in containers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Companion plants for tomatoes

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

I grow broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage with in three feet of tomatoes with no problems. Of course the brassicas are harvested before the tomatoes start producing.

• justaguy2
    15 years ago

I have never heard of broccoli affecting tomatos.

There is such a thing as allelopathy, but the black walnuts will have way more of an effect on the garden plants than any veggies planted near each other. In your case the garden being 30ft from a BW should be fine.

Plant and enjoy.

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Same here - grow them in the same beds and in the same rows and have for years with no problems. Have even followed up broc with tomatoes in the exact same place once the broc is harvested.

With no offense to Anney, many times all the "companion planting rules" just don't hold up in real experience, and since your space is limited about all you can do is give it a try.

Good luck with your new garden. ;)

Dave

• anney
    15 years ago

Ah, Justine. TWO experienced gardeners say they can be grown together, so the advice I've been following is questionable!

I generally do try to find research about questions rather than relying on gardening sites that make recommendations, but it appears that the research on the effect of broccoli/tomato together hasn't been direct. Instead, I've seen a couple of sites where researchers say that the addition of chemical components in brassicas has a growth-stunting effect on tomatoes. But if it actually does, it must not be appreciable since people say they grow them together and they're fine.

So I agree that all you can do is give it a try.

• anney
    15 years ago

Can't count!

THREE experienced gardeners...

• the_sun
    15 years ago

My experience has been that most companion planting is not for me. I won't hold it against another if they practice it, but not in my gardens. However, I have used onions as a barrier for various rodents, to deter them from scurrying out of the fields directly into the other root crops.

Anyway, there is one very good reason to keep most brassicas away from tomatoes... And that is because brassicas as a group are heavy feeders. It might be easier to prepare the soil for brassicas if they are kept to their own patch. Otherwise, you might end up with too much nitrogen in your 'mater patch.

• jessicavanderhoff
    15 years ago

I'm pretty new too, but I'd take any of the companion planting stuff with a grain of salt, unless it's been shown in a well-controlled study. (Of course if my cauliflower kills my tomatoes, I'll eat my words)