Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicagodeli37

pallet garden boxes

ChicagoDeli37
11 years ago

Im building 3 triple level garden boxes for specific veggies. Using old pallets, the first pic is a double level but was a rough draft the next two are going to be much better with 3 levels or I might just leave 2. I haven't got that far yet....pros? Cons?

Comments (15)

• ChicagoDeli37
    Original Author
    11 years ago

{{gwi:34154}}

• ChicagoDeli37
    Original Author
    11 years ago

{{gwi:34156}}

• sjkly
    11 years ago

What are you growing in them?
    The second looks like it could have any veg that needs to be trellised or staked.
    The first one-I don't think would work due to the solid front and back-no light.

• ChicagoDeli37
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The second one isn't finish. The first one is a skinny box up top with a false bottom. I plan to fill both with soil. Why wouldn't it work ? Im confused. Small stuff like radish and carrot. Then mabye out the top Brussels sprouts

• bcskye
    11 years ago

I think it would work. As long as you keep the side with the boxes to the sun, go for it. I've seen some really neat vertical gardens and will try to find some links to show you.

• ChicagoDeli37
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. The reason they are tall skinny boxes so so they have be squeezed on the fence line which gets full sun. Im also putting whelked on the bottoms so they can be easily moved around

• star_stuff
    11 years ago

FYI- wooden pallets are usually treated with chemicals like wood preservatives, pesticides, and fungicides. Imported pallets are especially fumigated with highly toxic pesticides.
    I just wanted to let you know that this could be a danger for you. I would do a search for more info.
    ~Caroline

• veggiecanner
    11 years ago

Treated pallets are usually stamped with a code to indicate it.
    Their is lots of information on the web to find out the codes

• ChicagoDeli37
    Original Author
    11 years ago

None of them seem treated. I don't see any stamps but what if I just line the inside with plastic?

• lgteacher
    11 years ago

Brussle sprouts can get really huge, so they would probably be better off in the bottom. They are cool season plants, so you shouldn't plant them until the end of summer. Vegetables can grow in fairly shallow soil (except for carrots and parsnips), so for most, you don't need to make the enclosure so deep. Depth can't compensate for lack of width. Herbs like basil, parsley, chives and oregano might do well.

• sjkly
    11 years ago

I was thinking it wouldn't work because of how deep it looked-with a false bottom of course it would work.

• NilaJones
    11 years ago

Do you get a lot of summer rain?

Narrow planting boxes like those, and especially ones made out of wood, will need an enormous amount of water. In my climate, I would have to water two or three times a day, every day.

If you don't have daily rain in summer, you might consider lining them with sheets of plastic or pieces of tarps, with a few drain holes. I did this for similar boxes and it helped. They still needed a ton of water, even in the shade.

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

Like others said they could be treated.. If I was you i would break down all the pallets and just make new beds from scratch using the wood that you took apart from the pallets.. The pictures look like you wasted a lot of wood.. For example, the planting beds look very thin, while the trellis takes up the most room.. Is that even a trellis or what? Like I said I would break the pallets down and just start from scratch with the pieces of wood..

Joe

• letsharmonize
    11 years ago

i can't see the original photos :( wish i could because i just got my hands on some wooden pallets and would appreciate seeing what others are doing with theirs. so far, mine are holding up planted containers. would appreciate advice on stacking, filling, etc. thanks

This post was edited by letsharmonize on Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 16:00

• star_stuff
    11 years ago

Real quick just wanted to advise~ please don't ever bring pallets that could be treated into the home or around pets. Hopefully mentioning this might help someone who stumbles upon this thread.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!