Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrswaz

Can we talk about veggies that need less sun?

mrswaz
16 years ago

I have such an itch to get gardening this year! As I've been looking over my yard, planning this and that, it occurs to me that I have a very unused portion of yard that I could plant something in.

Here's the catch. It's on the West side of my house- along the house. There is very little morning sun, but because the neighbors house is far enough away, I would say that this portion of yard would conservatively get 5-6 hours of sunlight, maybe more in the summer season.(Could be as much as 8 hours I suppose.) Just looking at it, I'm getting excited at the thought of the 2 x 10 foot raised beds I could install.

Any veggies I should avoid due to less sun? Conversely, any that will do amazingly well? I'm sure I'll be spending some time pouring over the seed packets, but thought I'd ask anyway to see if anyone has prior experience.

Comments (10)

• ruthieg__tx
    16 years ago

5 or 6 hours will grow most anything...8 hours and you can grow anything...

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

Yep, as ruthie said you should be able to grow about anything with 6 hours + sun. Tomatoes and peppers demand the most and prefer 8 but 6-7 will do.

You may have to watch your plant placement some to keep taller plants from shading the low growing ones and run the beds E to W to take advantage of exposure down the rows rather than across the rows. Otherwise - go for it. ;)

Good luck!

Dave

• hines
    16 years ago

Nothing wrong with the info you have been given but for your information and for placemnt of the veges on the w side of the house here is a list of the common veges that tolerate light shade.

beets, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, lettuce, onions, peas, potatoes,radishes, spinach, with spinach being by far the most tolerant of shade.

Common veges that require full sun include

beans, corn, cukes, eggplant, peppers, squash (winter and summer) melons, and tomatoes.

• mrswaz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the information! I'm so excited to "find" this new space. Of course, last night I sat down with my seed catalogs and garden planning stuff and came up with a general plan...and then this morning I wake to find 2 inches of freshly fallen snow.

*sigh*

I have two other beds that receive mostly full sun, so I'm going to turn one of them into the tomato and pepper patch, and use the new space for the more shade tolerant veg...I think.

• carolync1
    16 years ago

Cucumbers will grow under corn or under a shade tree in our hot climate, but I don't know that I would try this where it is more humid.

• pnbrown
    16 years ago

There are hours and then there are hours. The recommended 6 hour minimum presumes that it is more-or-less centered on noon. 6 hours from 1 to 7, say, is quite different - not nearly as good. Most any vegetable grown in complete shade up until noon or early afternoon isn't going to do too well -probably be leggy and have pest problems. If you try it, greens might tolerate it the best.....

• fliptx
    16 years ago

Because of the placement of my neighbors' trees, I don't get any direct morning light in the garden during the spring and most of the summer. Beans have done very well for me, especially Genuine Cornfield beans, and squash, cucumbers and tomatoes do pretty well too. I've never had much success with eggplant or corn.

• pnbrown
    16 years ago

but even indirect or filtered light is a lot more than the total shade thrown by a building......

• rdback
    16 years ago

...also reflective heat off the side of the house could be an issue, depending how close your plants are to it. Just something to keep in mind.

Good luck with your new space!

• mrswaz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I really appreciate all the discussion here and opinions given. I've gone out and marked where I would want the bed to be, as well as an alternate space that occured to me late last night. Every hour I am marking down where the sun is in both spots to get an idea how long I actually have to work with.