Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silver Queen and Silver King corn questions

Posted by lsst SC zone 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 1, 10 at 19:49

My 93 year old grandmother has asked me to add Silver Queen corn to my garden this year. It is her favorite.

I also purchased some Silver King corn.
Can both of these be planted together?

Also, I read about adding a third corn so that I do not have to stagger my plantings.

What would you suggest as a third one? I assume it needs to be an early one?

I recall Silver Princess being mentioned but I have not found the seeds available locally.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silver Queen and Silver King corn questions

Yes they can be planted together. Silver King is about about a week earlier ripening otherwise it is similar to pass for Silver Queen. I use Silver Princess as a second early and sometimes Silver Knight as an extra early. Silver Knight does have the taste of its later sisters but it as about as good as any 65 day corn. Twilley Seed in Hodges SC has all four of them.
Silver Knight Silver Princess Silver King

o

Thanks farmerdilla!
I have been reading your posts and have learned alot.
Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge!

o
Another question...

Does Twilleys just sell wholesale or do they have a retail division?
Also, this may be a stupid question but when the first crop of corn is harvested, what do I do with the leftover stalks? Can I pull them up and use the space for more corn or other veggies?

o

Twilley retails, primarily to market gardeners, but they do sell in small packets. I turn the corn stalks into the ground and plant late peas or beans. Late corn may be followed with turnips , rutabagas, broccoli, etc. I use all crop vegetation as "green" manure.

o

Great pictures!
May I ask how you control corn ear worms in sweet corn? We have major damage in this area and sure would like to reduce it.

o

I usually use Carbaryl. You can get reasonable control using a light agricultural oil, mineral oil or the like. Timing is crucial either way. Have tried Bt, but much less effective.

o

Farmerdilla,
How soon and how often do you spray with Carbaryl?
Thanks!

o

I usually get by with once, Just as the ends of the silks begin to show sign of drying.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here