Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

compact pumpkin plants

I've managed to find some varieties of compact pumpkin seeds.

These varieties produce very tiny pumpkins; ones that would be used for decoration. Are pumpkins that are this small able to be used in cooking, or would you advise against it?

I'm looking for what's considered a small variety of

pumpkin (4-8 pounds). I'm also looking for a compact/bush

variety of these pumpkins in seed form.

Now I've managed to find some that are labeled as "semi-bush" types in their growth patterns. I've never grown pumpkins so what does it mean when it refers to the growth patterns of these pumpkins as semi-bush?

Would you have to train the vines of these semi-bush varieties to climb a trellis and/or stake them?

Can these semi-bush varieties be grown in containers?

If so, what size container (please specify this information

in gallons) would you use, and how many pumpkin plants could you plant per container?

Below are the links for the varieties I've managed to find

NOTE FOR THE LINKS: I don't know why, but it won't let you just click on the link and then redirect to that product page via opening a new website page in a new window.

You'll have to copy and paste the link into your web browser and then press enter once you've entered the link(s) into your web browser.

http://www.ruppseeds.com/divVegetable/pikapie.htm?mnu=3

http://www.siegers.com/shop/kind.asp?kind_id=JJJI

Comments (11)

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

The only "bush" pumpkin that I know of in that size class (4-8 lbs) is the Cheyenne Bush which is a cross between New Enlnad Pie and Cocozelle. It is fair table quality. Touch of Autumn is semi bush but is much smaller at 2-4 lbs. Kakai is a semi-bush type, orange with black stripes (5-8 lb) Oz is a relative new semi bush running 4-5 lbs. This one looks more like a conventional pumpkin. Tricky Jack (4-10 lbs) Gold Dust is a tiny little ornamental (1/4 lb) Aspen is abig carving pumpkin (20 lb) but still semi bush ditto with 20 Karat Gold, Spirit is a 15 -20 C. pepo, Actually there are about 20 cultivars but I have run out of time and space. They have short stubby vines ( 6-8 ft as opposed to the 12+ ft vines of standard pumpkins. Varies some with cultivar. Most are as edible as a Halloween pumpkin except for the real miniatures.

• kawaiineko_gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello, thank you very much! You're a wealth of information! Thank you for the list of compact bush-type pumpkins! I'm eternally grateful! You responded so quickly too! Thank you very much for all your help!

I'm really not trying to be rude with what I'm about to request next; if I come that way, my sincerest apologies as it's not my intent. Although you did provide information to me for bush-type pumpkin varieties, I still have yet to receive an answer as to whether or not it's feasible to grow these compact varieties of pumpkins in containers.

So I'll ask again. Is it possible to grow compact/bush-type pumpkins in containers? If so, then what size container (please specify this information in gallons) do you need to grow them in, and how many plants can you plant per container?

Also I realize that although these are bush varieties of pumpkins, which take up much less space then traditional varieties, they do vine still correct? Even though their vines are shorter would you still have to "train" them to climb a trellis? If so, how would you go about doing this and where would you put the trellis in regards to the container (behind it, to the side of it, etc.)

You said that miniature type pumpkins aren't edible. I assume by mini pumpkins, you mean the ones that are used for decorative purposes?

I have found two tiny varieties of pumpkins. One is known as "Wee be little" and the other is called "snack jack". These are very tiny pumpkins. However are they edible and suitable for cooking/baking?

Here are the links for them:

The first link is for the wee be little pumpkin variety, and the 2nd link is for jack snack pumpkin variety.

NOTE ABOUT THE LINKS: I don't know why, but it won't let you just click on the link and then redirect to that product page via opening a new website page in a new window.
    You'll have to copy and paste the link into your web browser and then press enter once you've entered the link(s) into your web browser.

http://www.reimerseeds.com/wee-be-little-pumpkins-pvp.aspx

http://www.reimerseeds.com/snack-jack-pumpkins.aspx

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

Both Wee -B -Little and Snack Jack are pretty widely available and Reimer has a bad reputation. Snack Jack in particular is touted as a triple treat also used for roasted seeds. All of them, including tiny ornamentals are edible, but the under one lb types were bred for looks not culinary purposes. There is great variation among all pumpkin cultivars for flavor and texture. Certainly it is more difficult to trellis a 20 lb pumpkin than a three lb one, so if I were to trellis I would use the 3-8 lb class or smaller. I don't grow in containers, but would expect that for the larger pumpkins something the size of an Earth box ( 15+ gallons) would be appropriate. Some folks report growing watermelons in these things, and a pumpkin takes approximately the same root space. Two plants per container, mostly for insurance.

• thephotohound
    15 years ago

I'm growing Small Sugar pumpkins this year. It's an heirloom variety I got from Burpee's. 8-10" fruits on 6-8' vines.

• kawaiineko_gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Farmerdilla, I thank you for the wealth of information you have provided to me, I truly appreciate it.

Based upon what you're telling me, you're saying that a small variety of pumpkin (4-8 lbs.) even if it's a semi-bush type (having smaller vines as a result) should be trained to climb a trellis? Would you have to stake the vines like you would a tomato plant, or do you simply
    allow the vines to climb the trellis?

Now although you gave me information regarding planting pumpkins in containers, it unfortunately wasn't the information I was looking for regarding growing pumpkins
    in containers. You made the recommendation to plant
    larger types in a 15 gallon or larger container. However I don't want to grow large types. I already stated that I want to grow small types, between 4-8 lbs.; as a result the information I'm looking for as to whether or not small, compact/bush type pumpkins can be grown is what size containers can those varieties of pumpkins be grown in.

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

kawaiineko, wrong person I don't trellis and have no expererience with the concept. Lots of folks do and can give you some pointers there.

I also don't grow in containers. That recommendation was derived from those that grow watermelons in containers. Even the Bush Sugar Baby ( 6-8lb) has about the same root system as the vining form. Even the bush summer squash have massive root systems. So until someone tells you that they grow 3-7lb class pumpkins in 5 gallon buckets and show you the pictures, I would consider large containers. Watermelons ( Sugar Baby size) are reported both as spilling over the container onto the lawn or trellised. That would depend on how much room you have.

• dan_2007
    15 years ago

kawaiineko_gardener - the bigger the pot the better. For one plant you would want a pot that is at least 16" across. If you use a half barrel you could plant two or three in one pot. I won't bother trellising, they will climb but they would need to constantly be trained to the trellis. Just let them spill over the pot. Also consider that you will only get a maximum of 3 pumpkins per vine. I grew two pie pumpkin vines last year and only harvests 3 pumpkins all together.

• kawaiineko_gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So basically what you're saying is it is feasible to grow pumpkins in containers?

Also you're saying you would advise against training the vines of the pumpkin plant to climb a trellis?

What about staking them? Do you have to stake the vines like you would a tomato plant, or is this unnecessary?

I've heard of a bush variety of pumpkin called "bushkin" but I've not been able to find it via online seed catalog. Do you know where to order this type of pumpkin seed? Also does this type of pumpkin, the Bushkin, produce small varieties of pumpkin (4-8 lbs.)

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

Bushkin is listed as an 8-10 lb semi bush pie pumpkin. Introduced in 1985 by Burpee as a naked seed cultivar. It is patented (PVP) so don't know if any other company picked it up. Burpee no long longer lists it.

• kawaiineko_gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay well thank you for clarification with that variety of pumpkin. I just would like to know why you're advising against training the vine to climb via a trellis. I heard that if the vine drags on the ground that the fruit that develops tends to rot, correct?

You say not to train the vines to climb a trellis, even with compact, bush varieties, correct? Well if you don't
    train the vines to climb the trellis would you stake them like you do some varieties of tomato?

If you do stake the vines how do you go about this procedure?

• winchesterva
    15 years ago

If you are set on growing on a trellis you might want to check out this thread:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cornucop/msg0316334820089.html?16

it addresses growing melons on a trellis.

Mary