Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about Sweet Corn seedlings...? (Please help!!!)

Posted by BigN_187 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 20:12

Hello. About a week and a half ago I planted some sweet corn seeds. Long story short, 6 of the ten I planted at that time have germinated and are growing nicely a little more each day. However, I decided today to check the other four seeds, since absolutely NOTHING has happened with them. What I found is that the seeds which have not germinated yet are swollen, firm, (not as hard as when I planted them but not "soft") but there are no roots/leaves whatsoever emerging from the seed, and instead there was some sort of mildew (I think?) covering at least one of the seeds.

All I did was wipe off the "mildew" from the seed, planted the seeds slightly more shallow, and put the seed pots in the sun, making sure not to let them dry.

My question is, are these "mildewed", soft corn seeds ruined or might they still germinate in the next day or so? What can I do to ensure that they do germinate, of they're not ruined?

Obviously the other option is to cut my losses and replace the seeds, having four plants slightly behind the rest, but I'd prefer to try to get these current seeds to sprout if possible.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about Sweet Corn seedlings...? (Please help!!!)

I'm going to assume you direct seeded the corn, correct? Do you have a picture of what you think might be mildew? It might be nothing, but at this point, if they are soft, I'd replace them. Prolly not much of a chance for germination at this point

o

Actually, I did not directly sow them. I decided to play it safe and start everything in artificial conditions just because of the strange weather we've been having in central California for a while now.

I can try to get a picture and perhaps post it after this, but for now I can at least give a better description:

The "mildew" is a very light color, maybe white. It looks like incredibly fine little hairs just growing off of the seed. It runs off of the surface of the seed quite easily, I didn't even have to scrape it at all. Also, I don't know if this would even make a difference either way, but nothing else seems abnormal. Nothing strange on these four seeds that didn't go on the others, no foul odor to suggest that it may be rotting, etc.

I'll try to get a photo though and post it. In the meantime, I'll go ahead and plant four more seeds to replace these just to be safe. I can give the plants away or something if these four surprise me. However, will it most likely be as I said, where these four replacements will always be a little behind the others in terms of maturity, or might they "catch up" at some point?

o

When is your last frost date? Corn does MUCH better directly sown than transplanted.

I've seen the image you describe on some of my seeds, but what it exactly is escapes me right now. Maybe someone else can chime in.

I'll wait for your picture! ;-)

o

Wait a minute. You planted 10 seeds? What good are they going to be? You can't grow 10 cornstalks and get anything.

o

I believe that some do plant seeds like that in Earth Boxes or whatever they are.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here