Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bign_187

Question about Sweet Corn seedlings...? (Please help!!!)

BigN_187
11 years ago

Hello. About a week and a half ago I planted some sweet corn seeds. Long story short, 6 of the ten I planted at that time have germinated and are growing nicely a little more each day. However, I decided today to check the other four seeds, since absolutely NOTHING has happened with them. What I found is that the seeds which have not germinated yet are swollen, firm, (not as hard as when I planted them but not "soft") but there are no roots/leaves whatsoever emerging from the seed, and instead there was some sort of mildew (I think?) covering at least one of the seeds.

All I did was wipe off the "mildew" from the seed, planted the seeds slightly more shallow, and put the seed pots in the sun, making sure not to let them dry.

My question is, are these "mildewed", soft corn seeds ruined or might they still germinate in the next day or so? What can I do to ensure that they do germinate, of they're not ruined?

Obviously the other option is to cut my losses and replace the seeds, having four plants slightly behind the rest, but I'd prefer to try to get these current seeds to sprout if possible.

Thanks

Comments (5)