Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill8401

Help ID and treat diseases

bill8401
10 years ago

Can anyone help me turn my black thumb, green? My gardens always seem to be a miserable failure.
I did some searching and I think I have Blight? Not sure if thats all, or if other diseases too.

I have tomatoes and peppers. The worst infected ones are the tomatoes, that survived over the winter, and started growing, so I decided to give them a chance. The others are new tomatoes and peppers(bell and jalapeno) bought in quart size, which seem to have an affected/infected leaf here and there. These are in DIY self watering planters, with new potting mix/fertilizer/dolomite applied as earthbox instructions describe.

What can I do to treat this? I have some Natria brand insect/disease control. Do I need to remove ALL the damaged leaves and then apply? Anything else I should do?

Thanks

{{gwi:34829}}
{{gwi:34830}}
{{gwi:34831}}
{{gwi:34832}}
{{gwi:34833}}
{{gwi:34834}}

Comments (7)

• ceth_k
    10 years ago

The pepper looks ok but the tomato is not. Tomato leaves are distorted and discolored with some of them completely dead. What type of fertilizer have you been using?

• bill8401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for responding.

At the top of the soil in the planters is a 10-10-10, and I've been topping off the reservoir with miracle grow liquid feed.
    The tomatoes from last year(planted in the raised bed), have a store brand "Tomato and Vegetable Garden Plant Food Plus Calcium", spread over the top of the soil, and the miracle grow liquid feed when watering.

• planatus
    10 years ago

The peppers are fine. Those look like physical injuries from windblown debris or something like that.

If you use a magnifying glass, you will probably see small concentric, bull's-eye rings within the lesions on the older tomato leaves. These are the fruiting bodies of early blight. Your plants appear to be severely infected, which is the main risk with adopting volunteer plants. The fungus that causes early blight is everywhere, and because volunteers grow close to the ground, they are often infected early on. Healthy seedlings grown under dry conditions do not get early blight until much later, when the plants are big enough to fight back.

I would compost those tomato plants and start over with healthy seedlings.

• bill8401
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info.
    I guess there is no fix for blight? Can't cut off the infected parts?
    Here's some pics of the whole plants before I uproot them.
    I didn't have a magnifying glass, but did have a microscope. Here's some pics of a infected leaf. Probably not helpful, but interesting.

{{gwi:34835}}
    {{gwi:34836}}
    {{gwi:34837}}
    {{gwi:34838}}
    {{gwi:34839}}

• Jonathan29
    10 years ago

looks like early blight to me. But no need to throw out the whole plant if the upper leaves a fine and still showing some liveliness to them. Just stay diligent with those on pucking off blight leaves/branches as soon as you see them but just a pro-cation i would start some new seedling tomatoes inside just so if they do fail you can just switch them out.

Here is a link that might be useful: TheItalian Garden

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Jonathan29 - I've tried looking at your link several times and it just goes to a lot of undifferentiated YouTube videos, none of which seem particularly to do with Italian Gardening. What is the relevance to the current OP's question? If there is a video there about tomato blight could you link to that directly?

• galinas
    10 years ago

You could spray with Serenade. It is not harmful, and helped me to keep blight manageable till October last year. Normally end of August is the time tomatoes stop fighting blight in my area. Buy it concentrated( not ready to use spray) - it is much cheaper if you use it often, and you should do it every 10 days at least if not once a week.

Here is a link that might be useful: Where to by Serenade

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County