Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Onion bed and other stuff

Posted by stuffradio SW 8A BC (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 20:39

I started to create an Onion bed today. This is all I have done so far. I hope it's not too late for my Onion sets. I will be creating about 3 or 4 more beds this size. One more for Onions. I got 80 Onions in the set, and a bunch of Leek seedlings, and Onion seedlings. I will fill these two beds with the Onions.

The rest of the beds will be for Cabbage, Cauliflower, Broccoli, and Parsnips/Carrots. I might need to create one more after that for Turnips and Beets, but maybe not. I have a whole section dedicated to Leafy greens also.

I will be using some of the beds in the fall for my Garlic. I should have 300-500 cloves by the fall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Onion bed and other stuff

Looks good! What did you add in?

o

We got top soil delivered this last Summer. I'm using that. The bad thing is, it had wire worms in it. It seems like everyone has wire worms in their soil. I saw one while I was shoveling the soil, and killed it. I also saw some Cut worms, and click beetles. Those were from here though, not the soil. I killed them too.

o

Ha! Good work....is that a Stihl cultivator I see in the background?

o

Yes, it is a Stihl cultivator. :)

o

I finished filling it in tonight, and planted 80 Onion sets.

o

All that space. Why not grow everything. Great idea. Wish I had that yard

o

We are trying to do even more stuff. We might get one or two cows, we'll have some chickens soon, and my niece got a Sheep we'll have. There is a patch of lawn that's about 45 feet wide and 90 feet long I'm working on improving. I will also be increasing my Garlic yield year by year in hopes of being able to sell $2,000 worth a year and get farm status. If all goes well, the year after this year I should be growing about 1,000+ garlic plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here