Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mayhem69_gw

need a good tasting cucumber to grow

mayhem69
15 years ago

Hi, i tried growing cucumbers the past 2 yrs. with no luck. After they formed leaves something started eating, so i sprayed. Seems like after spraying they never grow right. Anyway i want to try a different variety this yr. I heard japanese cucumbers are very good. Any suggestions?

Comments (10)

• sprtsguy76
    15 years ago

I had really great success with Japanese Climbing in a SWC. Very productive and great taste with no bitterness. Out of all the veggies I grew in SWC's last year, this one did the best. Good luck.

Damon

• tedln
    15 years ago

I raised the burpee "early girl" hybrid and they produced well and were sweet all summmer. I raised the burpee "straight eight" also. They were sweet if you picked them real small, but they got so bitter when they grew a little large that my labrodor dog wouldn't eat them. He loves cucumbers and tomatoes fresh from the garden. Gonna put up a tall fence around the garden this year with some barb wire on top to keep the dog out. He will get his fair share, but I will pick the ones he gets.

Ted

• someguyinmaine
    15 years ago

If after spraying, the cucumbers never grew right, it was probably due to inadequate pollination, which can occur if the bees were poisoned with the spray. It might be beneficial to grow the cucumbers up a trellis and spray on the lower leaves only or use a granulated pesticide such as sevin lawn granules underneath the plants (thats what I use and it works great). Sweet Success, Lemon, and Boothby's Blonde are all really nice sweet cucumbers.

• hatchjon
    15 years ago

I've grown Suyo Long which I believe is Chinese. Suyo Long cucumbers were very crisp and crunchy with no bitterness at all. They have a strange shape; curled like a J and thicker on the curved end when grown on a trellis.
    I've also grown Marketmore 76 and they were tasty though somewhat thick/tough skinned. Northern Pickling are ok but many of the early fruits turned out bitter 2 years in a row.

As far as pests are concerned just check the plants a few times a day. Make sure you check in the very early morning to catch slugs. Cucumber beetles will be slow in the morning too. Hand pick the bugs that are eating your plants frequently. You should pick 2 times a day at minimum when the plants are small. If you work just pick before and after work. After the plants are established the insects won't be a problem though they will still cause some minor damage.

Jon

• fliptx
    15 years ago

I am a fan of Diva. It's parthenocarpic so they they don't require pollination.

• julieann_grow
    15 years ago

Suyo long...man, I so addicted that I can't wait until mine are ready to harvest and I don't even like cucumbers. I grow organically, here in pest filled S. Louisiana and have not had any problems with this. I did have to hand pollinate until the bees showed up.

• duajones
    15 years ago

I will second Diva as it is a fantastic cuke and as mentioned needs no pollination. I also like Poona Kheera which has performed well for me everytime I have grown it. It is great tasting as well.

• lantanascape
    15 years ago

I have had much better luck with pickling cukes. Last year we had more than we could eat from three plants. Variety is National Pickling (and yes, I did pickle several jars). No problems with disease and I never had to spray. I grew them up wire mesh against a wood fence. They were excellent for fresh eating, and my co-workers raved over the pickles!

• mayhem69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well i bought some cuke seeds off Ebay called Organic Satsuki Madori. They seem to have good reviews, we'll see how they turn out.
    I do have a question regarding growing these. I hear a lot of people growing the cukes on a trellis. Is this the best way to grow them? Can i just let them grow on the ground?
    Regards

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm