Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
China White Collards?

Posted by tricia73 9 (shoeboxherbgardens@gmail.com) on
Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 21:08

I met someone yesterday at a plant show and sale in FL who was looking for what he termed as an "old heirloom collard" called China White. I have never heard of this variety and after several hours of searching the web I have not been able to find anything about it online. The only thing I could find was that Farnham collected several heirloom varieties of collards from the Carolina plains and they are now stored in NY. But not what varieties he found or if there is any way of purchasing any seeds of these dieing heirloom varieties.

Has anyone else ever heard of this variety of collard greens or know anything about it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: China White Collards?

tricia73 you spent several hours looking.
the answer to you question bok choy otherwise known as Chinese white cabbage and Chinese chard cabbage.
the secret to searching is knowing where to look and how to look.

o
RE: China White Collards?

Bok choy/pak choi is a possiblity as it is known as Chinese white cabbage. Never heard of anyone confusing it with collards ( a loose leaf cabbage that is biennial) Pak choi bolts early in its growth cycle..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here