Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how long can I leave over wintered cabbage in the ground?

Posted by elisa_Z5 none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 21:21

I've got some Wirosa Savoy cabbages that have, miraculously, lived through many nights of sub zero (lowest was minus 31 F, not counting the wind chill). They're still in the ground, as in still planted (not just stored in the ground). They've got hay stuffed around them, and one layer of AG 19 over top of hoops. I never have any luck with storing cabbage in the root cellar or even the fridge, but these have been super crisp all winter.

My question is, is it getting too late to keep leaving them in? Do I have another month or so before I have to pull all of them? I'm assuming they've been vernalized, and will try to bolt at some point. Anyone have an idea how long I have before that happens?

I'd love to have a fresh cabbage in April if it can wait that long.(they're also huge, so we can't eat them very fast, and I just harvested one)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how long can I leave over wintered cabbage in the ground?

I pulled my last savoy cabbage just before the first polar vortex, and I love that they keep through such cold weather. You're a zone colder than i am, but I think you would have to pull yours pretty soon. On the other hand, it should keep fine in your fridge until April.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 11:32

How much snow cover do you have? Here cabbages would still be well under snow, and in that situation they would keep almost indefinitely. Outside it might be -31F, but at the ground level it is 27F. You can always help that along by actively covering the cabbage with a snow shovel.

o

Ha -- glib when I told my husband you still had 2 feet of snow, he wanted to come up to New England to keep skiing! We still have snow higher up, but in the yard, it thawed last weekend. More snow coming this week, though. Sounds like if it stays cold, it'll keep.

laceyvail -- I pulled some cabbage just before the first polar vortex, and left some in, just to see what would happen. The ones I pulled were good at first, but got dryer and shriveleier. The ones in the ground are fresh as can be--perfect for cole slaw, while the ones pulled earlier ended up only good for soup. I knew I was taking a risk, but was very happy with the results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here