Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would you like in a potting table/bench?

Posted by nancyjane_gardener USDA 8ish No CA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 21:41

Yes I have posted something similar on the garden junk and potager forums, but with very few replies.
We have had the fortune to come across some beautiful old barn wood. DH just happens to be an out of work furniture maker!
We are planning on making some potting benches and would like to know what YOU gardeners would like (besides design) in a bench.
We have been hitting the thrift stores (gotta have a project!), flea markets and will soon be going to garage sales to find decorative things, but what are your must haves? Should we buy some hand tools to include with the bench? What type of bowl? Do you use a colander? Racks?
Please let us know your thoughts! Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would you like in a potting table/bench?

My only thoughts are I really want one & lucky you that you're going to get one! So jealous right now. Congrats & good luck with getting your perfect one

o

This year I installed a cheap power strip from the dollar store in my "potting table/bench" I simply used the mounting holes on the strip and attached it directly under the bench. When you need power to your location, run an extension cord, and you can power several things at once such as lighting for that late evening pesticide mix or micronutrient foliage spray, powering a hand tool (I often use a grinder to sharpen garden tool such a my hoe), or even a radio. :)

good luck!

LC

o

I would like a built in screen to use with compost or worm castings. I would put a container underneath to capture the sifted material. This should easily lift out for cleaning. That would be on one end. On the other end of a long table, I would want a sink with a sprayer. I would also want a shelf above the main work area with cup hooks for having my tools within easy reach. I would not include garden tools as that is a very personal thing, everybody has their own favorites. I think the power strip is an awesome idea.

Now, my creative juices are running but too bad I have far too many things to do this year.

o

Great ideas! Keep them coming! Thanks!
We are now thinking of building to order, offering many of these things as options! Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here