Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Radish leaves turning red

Posted by LivelyDirt Zn 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 21:42

Playing with growing radish indoors under lights while there is too much snow outside yet. Plants are starting to bulb up, but the borders of the leaves are turning red. Any soil doctors out there with solutions? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Radish leaves turning red

It could be a phosphorus deficiency...especially if it's mostly under the leaf or you notice the green of the leaf going to a green/blue hue along with the red.

o

That would be my guess too. Are they cold? Some plants have a difficult time absorbing P if they are young and to cold. It happens to a few of my annuals every year if I plant them out a to early. They recover when they warm up.

o

The little critters aren't cold. 70F Thought I might add a photo for clarification

Here is a link that might be useful: Lively Dirt - The Garden Blog

o

Those look like beets to me.

o

No - the leaves are clearly rough and lobed at the bottom of the leaf blade, unlike beets. They're just discoloured radishes.

o

Have they had any fertilizer? I ask because the pale color often says "We need nitrogen."

o

Looks like low P to me too, notice it's on the older leaves?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here