Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cobarchie

One webpage with all the info a semi-newbie would need?

Cobarchie
11 years ago

I'm curious if there is an online resource that has massive information in an easy to distill format. There is a lot of info in these forums but I'm having trouble sifting through all of it.

I'm looking for fast answers to these sorts of questions about each garden plant I'd like to grow:

How much space each needs in terms of square feet of ground.

What planting methods work best (starting from seeds or transplants) and how to actually plant them.

What sort of growth is expected (size at maturity) and if staking, cages or trellises are needed.

How much water it needs.

How much sun.

What plants it can be near.

Pest/disease control.

If anything has to be done to the soil for each plants specific needs.

(The first three are the most important to figure out.)

I've done ok the last couple of years. I'm learning from my mistakes and I get better as time goes on. Mosty I've grown tomatoes and cucumbers successfully and had poor results with peppers. I'm confused as to how I can do so well with those first two and so poorly with the last. I've grown corn well and it looked awesome from the outside, but it was eaten up by bugs on the inside.

I'm in West Tenneessee. Zone 7 as far as I know.

I'd like to add sugar snap peas, strawberries, carrots, watermellon, squash, sunflowers and cantaloupe this year. I'd really like to add grapes, blueberries, blackberries, asparagus and even pumpkins at some point but the problem I have with everything I've tried growing is that I know very little about the specifics and needs of each to feel like I could do any of it well.

Is there an online resource that maps it all out per plant in the way I'd like it? The forums here have great info, but it's too much searching and looking.

Books would be awesome too. I'd actually prefer a book.

Thanks for any help.

Comments (13)

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

Here's a good start....Tennessee extension services...materials/texts search for "vegetables"

https://utextension.tennessee.edu/Search/PubResults.aspx?k=vegetables&cs=This%20Site&u=https%3A%2F%2Futextension.tennessee.edu%2Fpublications

Here is a link that might be useful: UTenn extension search 'vegetables'

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

Also, here's the publications default page for other searches...

https://utextension.tennessee.edu/publications/Pages/default.aspx

Here is a link that might be useful: UTenn extension search main page

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Your local county extension office is the place to start.

And all you have to do is Google 'how to grow________(insert name of vegetable)' for all the information on that particular vegetable.

For example:

How to Grow Peppers in the Home Garden

Growing Corn in the Home garden

But do keep in mind that there isn't one perfect answer to many of your questions as the needs for water, spacing, feeding, etc. will vary greatly depending on your soil and your weather.

Dave

• little_minnie
    11 years ago

Go to the library and get Smith's Big Book of Gardening Secrets and Solomon's Gardening When it Counts. Those are reliable and easy.

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

I love to sleep late and have sex at least twice a day. but I never get any of this. Trials and errors are the best teacher.

As some suggested you can google the information you need but the danger the information is so contradicting each other it will confuse you more. For example the link for growing pepper above gets you to Ohio State U. They say in growing pepper use 12-12-12 fertilizer or one with high nitrogen content. From my experience gained by trial and errors high nitrogen content will give huge green plant and no or little fruit and the nitrogen number has to be the lowest. Did I say confusing it is.

• planatus
    11 years ago

Mother earth news has a nice collection of crop pages that have been fact checked and are consistent with National Organic Standards.

Here is a link that might be useful: crop at a glance pages

• LindsMcM
    11 years ago

I wonder if you have tried PlantVillage? It is a site dedicated to edible crops and there is an info sheet with some of the basic growing info for each plant plus you can ask specific questions. It may be a good starting place?

Here is a link that might be useful: PlantVillage

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Sure trial and error is the best teacher and it can't be avoided either. Gardening isn't as simple as read this, do this, and be successful. Nothing in life is. Yet that is the biggest mistake most new gardeners make - assuming that growing a garden is a simple thing to do and there is only 1 way to do it.

Nothing you read, regardless of the source, will apply perfectly to your garden. But it still doesn't hurt to read though several sources that address the basics.

Dave

• jimster
    11 years ago

Many states have extension service web sites. You don't always need to use the one for your own state.

My favorite is the University of Illinois site. It is well organized and comprehensive, yet concise in its vegetable growing information. It is my go to source for home vegetable growing information. It nearly always has the information I am seeking.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: University of Illinois Extension

• chickenfreak
    11 years ago

I would go with books, yes. My first two thoughts are:

Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew (I don't actually do the "squares", but even if you ignore those it has plenty of well-presented information)
    and
    The Garden Primer by Barbara Damrosch

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    11 years ago

I recommend the Vegetable Gardener's Bible by Edward C Smith. Half of it is a good, clear discussion of how to set up your garden and the other half is a veggie Encyclopedia. It's been the best selling book of its kind for many years. The truth is that most vegetables need the same things. Once you learn the basics, you can grow almost anything. Don't fall for the marketing hype that says you need a different fertilizer for every vegetable.

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    11 years ago

Available as "book" or online is Johnny's Selected Seeds general catalog. At the beginning of each crop section is a growing guide with great info. Helpful charts are also included summarizing a variety of information. Online resources help with planting dates, succession planting, etc. It's great, perhaps no better than others listed, but a free catalog is easy to keep in the garden area and can be replaced each year if necessary.Call or email to request a catalog.

• CarloMartin947
    10 years ago

Alan Chadwick was the famous English horticulturist that was instrumental in bring organic gardening to the USA in the late sixties. He build a demonstration garden at the Univeristy of California in Santa Cruz, which has probably never been surpassed. A website all about his methods and philosophy can be found at the link below. For basic information about gardenings, click on "Techniques" and start reading from the top. Also provides great photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alan Chadwick