Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texassam

Garden mulch

texassam
11 years ago

We just moved onto our property a few months ago and have already begone and completed some projects. One of the projects is to get rid of all the rag weed stalks. They are 6-10 feet tall, and all wood and dead. I ran them through our shredder and thought that the mulch would be great covering for the vegitable garden. Do you think this would be a good idea? Why or why not...thanks!

Comments (17)

• NilaJones
    11 years ago

Did they have seedheads on them?

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

Don't expect mulch to prevent weed for long time. Weed is lethal and obnoxious. I put 2 inches pine park under my trees and the weed still got through it. My only solution for weeds is I bought weed wrench and weed stir-up-hoe I got three different sizes of that so I don't injur my plants. It is a good exercise too. I lose 20 pounds during the garden season unfortunately I put them on back in winter I am very anxious for some warm weather to start the action.
    Abe

• texassam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

About the seed heads... Some do some do not. They look several years old. I am can look at them and tear off the seed heads before I mulch them. Would that help?

...we are NOT trying to use the mulch for weed control, but for water retention. We have nice red sandy loam...really pretty soil.. But in the Texass heat it will dry quickly.

So do you thin that the mulch would be good for that?

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

You can use almost any plant matter that does not have seeds. I do not advise digging anything in the soil, you ruin the soil structure, organisms, etc.. If I was you I would mulch with any plant matter that does not have seeds and is known to be ok for plants.. Some trees like black walnut are known to put out a chemical to inhibit plant growth... Don't know how true the is but.. In my experience mulching is 10 times more effective in the long run than tilling soil!.. Please think twice before ruining your soil... Sorry, Back on topic.... Personally, the best thing to mulch with is tree leaves and wood chips. I also use woodash and compost as a fertilizer... Trees roots go very deep down in th soil and draw up all kind of nutrients, minerals,etc... When you apply that to the top of the soil, you not only cut by watering dramatically, but also remineralize the soil, and improve soil structure,etc,etc,etc... You can get wood chips for free from a tree service if youcall them... Everyone knows how free leaves are... Mulch with woodchips and leaves and you would not believe the results, it takes a few years of course... Don't mulch directly on the base on your plants/trees as this leads to rot,etc. Leave a space between the trunk and mulch... I know a man who doesn't water/fertilize his garden at all due to good soil structure and a nice thick mulch of woodchips... This link explains it...

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: True agriculture

• texassam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Joe...and anyone else...

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure how the ragweed is as far as nutrients. I know that I have heard of people using it as mulch in its green form, but this is woody. I was just wondering if it would be good for the soil and water use. If not i can use the ragweed chips to put inthe bottom of my chicken coop.

Part of our problem is that we have not been on our property long enough to gather mulch and add up our compost.

I think I'll try the ragweed in our garden as mulch unless there are main objections. And help with the ragweed question is very much appreciated.

• AiliDeSpain
    11 years ago

I wouldn't use it because of the potential for weed seed to spread into your garden, unless that is not of concern to you.

• texassam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What would you suggest for a covering on my garden to help with water loss? Wait until I cut my grass?

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

If the seed already set, compost it then add the compost to the garden. It's all the same benefit in the long run, for the most part.. I'm telling you,. Watch that video on th link I sent you... Get ahold of a pile or two of woodchips and collect the leaves in fall.. Mulch like no other.. You will be surprised! Another thing younmentioned is you didn't have the time to compost as you just moved... My city has free compost(leaf humus). Maybe look around and see way you could find.. But the woodchips should be free. The tree service normally pays to dispose of them, I wouldn't pay for mulch... Hope this helps

Joe

Joe

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

For water retention you can not beat wood chips.. Watch that video.. Man moved to his property and planned to drill a well for irrigation.. Ended up the well water wasn't adequate he had to persevere... He then walked in the woods and realize what nature was doing all by herself. When does nature water, only when it rains. He then started mulching his garden to mimic the forest floor.. Woodchips are just the easies and in his experience the best... You soon see why in the video.. To get to the point he NEVER waters nor does he fertilize!

Joe

• AiliDeSpain
    11 years ago

You will hear a lot of people poo poo on wood chips for mulch but I used it last season and it worked great and looks pretty too :)

• texassam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I grew up in the country and we used wood chips a lot. I live pretty far out but I think our county does tree service and ill call and as about the chips. I'll save the ragweed shreds for my chicken coop, they will eat the seeds and poo all I've the chips...that will be good compost. As far as paying forth things goes....we never did on our farm as a kid and I sure ain't going to now :)

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

I assume whoever dislikes wood chips never used it for enough time, or not thick enough layer. If you watch the back to Eden method of gardening how wouldn't you like woodchips? People probably tried to till it in their soil to improve air, organic matter... Which worsens their situation even further... Don't dig and your eliminating half your problem...

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

Texas:

I like the way you think.. Country's even better, you got all the leaves you want! I would much rather sacrifice woodchips not to have any neighbors!! I assume your down in Texas? Be careful with the chicken manure... It Is very high nitrogen which can lead to problems with fruiting vegetables, and especially fruit trees.. Too much nitrogen leads to too much growth which leads to weak structure and other problems. I would save the manure for you leafy greens or lawn.. The lawn would grow very well with the manure and would led to more balanced compost, IMO...

Joe

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

I am not trying to brainwash you in my "natural" methods,etc... By all means do it the way you think is best.. I'm just trying to spread the word and give you ideas of what works well for me and Many others in our experiences..

Joe

• texassam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do not feel brainwashed.. Lol. One thing that i know is that when it comes to gardening and farming, each person has a techinique they are sold on, and there are a million different techniques( and they all pretty much work) i like the pashion that people have for their land! My family was natural and organic before it was cool to be natural and organic...we were just cheap and did not want to pay for the chemicals and had all the free stuff we wanted for and from our livestock. Now that I have my own place and the Internet, I enjoy having questions and listening to the answers. With the chicken poop, I'll compost lit with leaves, vegitable scraps, grass, etc... Try to get a good balance. The goal Is to have 3-4 large piles to let them simmer for a year or so each...then I'll have a fresh pile of compost each growing season. But for now my concern is the covering of my garden. No Matt what lit is going to be fun!

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

Back to your question about tearing off the seed heads- yes, that would work. I've done it with some obnoxious stuff to good effect. And about wood chips, yes, there are many ways to skin the garden cat. Around here people are falling out of love with them because of a certain fungus that grows in them and makes amazing projectile spore packets that have the ability to eat paint off of cars and leave indelible black marks on the sides of houses. A regional thing. I just don't like to work with them. Other possibilities are hay, straw, newspaper, cardboard and the aforementioned leaves. Which by the way, would be a better mimic of the forest floor- lots more leaves than wood fall there! :)

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

Texas:

I would plant a cover crop during and off season so you will have your own mulch, soil improvement,etc.. As far as your compost goes, check out "how to grow world record tomatoes by Charles Wilbur".. He is in the record books for his 25-30 foot tomatoes plants, with yields off one plant that would feed the whole city.. His secret is partly his compost! He never let's it get rained on to hard because the rain would leach the good out of it... He has recipes and lots more information in his book...

Sunnibell:
    Right on! Ya I hear you with the fungus.. I plan on incoculating my bed with shitake mushroom spores... It would decompose the chips faster and you could see them for a pretty penny.. Or eat them and enjoy the medicinal "goodness"...

Joe