Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sacrificing the first veggies of your plants

Posted by ienjoy_my_cactus 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 24, 12 at 22:15

When growing fruit it is sometimes advised to stop the production of fruit in the early years of the plants life. This will allocate more energy to the normal growth of the tree.

Is this ever done with veggies?

I have a few bean plants that are 49-52 days old, have maybe a dozen true leaves, and are loaded with bean pods. If I clipped these now, would the plant be better able to gain more in size, therefore produce more in the medium and long term spectrum?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sacrificing the first veggies of your plants

No. Annuals require a different management methodology. It is sometimes preferable to treat perennial vegetable crops this way - not picking asparagus for the first two years, or cutting the flowering stalks off of garlic or tulips, but sacrificing beans will gain no advantage. Beans should be continuously harvested; that will prolong their output. Once beans (and many other veggies) start to ripen, production stops, which is why it is important to pick thoroughly. You have to consider that the primary impetus of the plant is to survive and reproduce, so once seeds are produced, its' "work" is done for the year. Removing the seed potential from garlic causes it to try to reproduce via the bulb, resulting in larger cloves. Removing fruit or flowers from trees causes them to put down deeper and wider root systems, helping to ensure better cold weather survival. With most vegetable crops, you are best off taking what you get as soon as you get it, because you never know what might beset your plants as the season progresses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here