Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leggy Cauliflower seedlings

Posted by sakhiya 6b(PA) (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 12, 09 at 22:28

Hi!

I started my Cauliflower in my basement close to a window on 02/17 and saw the seedlings sprout by 02/21. I've moved them to a regular room temperature greenhouse on 02/27 and the greenhouse is placed near a south facing window. While the seedlings have grown, they still do not give out any 'true' leaves. And the main stem is considerably long(see picture). This is my first time sprouting cauliflower, is this normal? If not what should I have done to avoid this. Forgot to mention that the same is the case with my cabbage that is started and seen sprouting and moved to greenhouse on the same dates as cauliflower. Please advise.
Just to make sure I get enough cauliflower, I started 5 more pellets with Cauliflower seeds today in the greenhouse.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leggy Cauliflower seedlings

Here is the picture...not as perfect as I would have liked it to be, but to give you an idea of how tall they have grown.
Leggy Cauliflower

o

Sorry, no it is not normal. Your seedlings are starved for light and as the many discussions here and on the Growing from Seed forum show, it just isn't possible to grow healthy seedlings using only window light. It just isn't intense enough nor full spectrum enough nor long enough exposure this time of year. That is why most all of us use various types of fluorescent light set-ups. This time of year we even have to use supplemental lighting in the commercial greenhouses.

In this case enclosing them in a sort of plastic greenhouse only reduces the light exposure more. I'd suggest a review of the FAQs on the Growing from Seed forum and have linked one on lighting below.

You can try to save some of these (the ones without broken stems) by transplanting them into deep containers (remove the netting first), burying all the stem, and then arrange for much more lights for them or they will just get leggy again. Search 'light set-up' here for many discussions and photos on various seed starting set up.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing from Seed FAQs

o

Dave is right. They need much more light. Here's a picture of what they should look like.

Photobucket

This is a mix of cauliflower and broccoli, growing under fluorescent light, and are about 1 month old.
Rick

o

Oh ok. Thanks guys! I thought the window light was good, but apparently not! Will see what I can do. BTW, when do you suggest I transplant to the garden? My research online says it should be some 3-4 weeks before last frost, so in zone 6b, it should be beginning of April or mid April. The farmers almanac says that 60-80% frost chance is reduced by mid April and 90% by May 10th.

o

I set mine out in mid April here and start them about March 21st. You could be a week earlier or so. I specialize in setting them out while young.

o

I planted my cauliflower seeds it grew To almost 1cm but the problem I'm facing is that it is all crowded is there any problem for their growth....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here