Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
strawberry's getting eaten by something

Posted by hoot97az none (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 22:30

Hello,

Need some help getting rid of something that is eating my strawberry's. Happens once the berries starting to get ripe. I have a 3-4" trench around by berries and have DE power in that. Was hopping whatever was crawling around would go into that DE and get rid of them. But still having the berry eating problem. Any suggestions? Picture attached. Growing in Arizona.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: strawberry's getting eaten by something

Birds, mice, squirrels? Maybe you could cover them with some kind of netting to keep them out? I try to hide the berries under a leaf until they ripen. That usually works.

o

Thanks for the reply, I have them covered with tulle already.

o

That looks like bird eating pattern to me.

o

Any suggestions on what to use to cover them beside's tulle? I have that on their now and didn't see any signs of holes poked in them. Maybe I should try something else to cover them? Any recommendations?

o

I think the tulle is the best option.

o

Is the cover resting on the plants?
If so, figure out how to prop it above the plants.

Edited to add:
Make certain you don't have any "visitors" trapped underneath the cover.

This post was edited by jean001a on Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 10:50

o

Bird netting comes in rows and is good for the purpose, as well.

The important thing is not to drape it over the plants but fasten it to stakes about a foot or so over the plants, and pin it to the ground so they don't crawl under it.

o

And fix it down tight so no bird can get tangled in it. I have had the heartbreaking experience of finding a bird's leg tangled in netting. I hate to think of the struggle and pain before it escaped with one leg ripped off and then presumably died in agony somewhere.

o

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have the tulle laying on the plants. I will built a small structure to elevate above the plants and drap it over and secure down. Hopefully that will help

o

Slugs and birds are the main menace to my strawberries.

o

Got the row cover up. Will see how it does. Thanks for all the help

o

Looks like this type of bug is trying to get in. Its a flying bug but not sure what it is

o

Snails and slugs make holes like the ones in your photo.

o

I hate to say it, but that fabric isn't going to let in enough light for strawberries.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here