Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nother Soil Thing.........

Posted by cugal 5b-6a NE Ks (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 22:33

Seeing the thread on lowering their pH struck home.......... My last soil test showed my pH at 7.3, which is tolerable, but high.........

Real problem was P & K at 370 & 640 respectively......... My problem was tied to using large amounts of pine shavings with some chicken manure......... I only have 6 hens.....

Pine shavings are high in P & K, but not N The manure wasn't supplying adequate N....... I followed my extension's recommendation & added the Urea & sulfur..

Planted potatoes, peas, arugula, spinach,lettuce, & radishes today & it's now raining, so time will tell.......

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nother Soil Thing.........

I am surprised you can already plant in Kansas. I haven't walked through my back yard since Dec due to knee high snow. The piles are starting to melt a bit, but it will be a long while before the soil un freezes. Maybe by the end of April I'll be able to get the cole crops going, but I doubt it will be before then.

o

• Posted by cugal 5b-6a NE Ks (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 21:14

Ugggggh! mandolls!! My older sister lived in WI (Madison/Beaver Dam) for 15 years & never adapted to WI winters! Kansas winters can be brutal, but we can't compete with WI!

I've got my brassicas under low tunnels & we're supposed to be down to 20F tonight...... Agribon protects to 26-27F, so I may be replanting!

o

The good thing is that all of those veggies except the potatoes are quite tolerant of mildly alkaline soil.
Properly hardened off, your arugula, radishes and spinach will shrug off 20 F no problem. Damage won't start showing up until it gets below about 15 degrees. Don't be alarmed if the cotyledon leaves get burned by a freeze - this is normal.

Pea plants are good down to about 20 degrees.

Lettuce doesn't like it if it gets below the high 20s F, so I would focus on protecting that.

Edit: just reread your post and realized you sowed them today, so it doesn't really matter.

This post was edited by Slimy_Okra on Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 21:29

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here