Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shady vegetables?

Posted by squirrellypete z7b GA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 23:37

Are there any fruits, veggies or herbs that do well in bright shade? My gardening intuition says "No", but I have a lovely raised bed under my full sun cucumber arbor that grows cool weather veggies until the vines fill in (and they fill in thick). Just wondering if there's anything I can use it for during the summer when it's mostly shaded out. It will probably get a little dappled sun and some through the open front and back of the structure but once the vines are fully grown it's shaded from any direct over-head sun.

I suppose worst case scenario I can grow impatients or some colorful shade-tolerant annual in there. Any ideas please let me know!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shady vegetables?

Did you check the search Pete? I know there have been at least 3 discussions recently on what to grow in 'shade' and/or in 'limited sun'. One, can't recall which, had several vegetable recommendations in it.

Dave

o

Pete:

Anything that you see wild in naturethat gros in shade will grow in shade in you garden as well,, vice versa.. Look at the natural habitat of a plant and mimic the growing conditions as best as you can.. For example: raspberry/blackberry grow next to wooded areas that receive minimal sun... They will do well in bright shade... Another thingto consider is it just shaded near the ground, what about 5-10 feet above the ground? If you plant a fruit tree when it gets tall enough would it reach the light or is it completely shaded? In general, leafy greens does better than fruiting vegetables in shade...

Best of luck,
Joe

o

Thanks Dave,

I usually check the search and for some reason did not. Found some after combing through a bit. Looks like the concensus is leafy greens and herbs, things that typically bolt later in the year.

Joe, thanks for the advice. Whatever I plant there must be an annual so berries and fruit trees would be out. The bed will get replanted in the fall with cool season veggies (cabbage, lettuce, etc...)

I guess I'll try growing some more heat tolerant varieties of salad greens and maybe my cilantro there during the summer and see what happens. I'm constantly making salsa from our fresh peppers and tomatoes in the summer. It would be nice to be able to have fresh cilantro at the same time but it just doesn't do well in our heat that time of year. Maybe some shade will help, I just always thought herbs like that needed a good deal of sun. Will see how it goes.

o

If your cilantro does well there in the summer, I would love to hear about it. I typically grow it all winter here, but it would be lovely if it could be grown in our summer heat with shade for salsa!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here