Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Erbette chard planted last year just came up

Posted by milehighgirl CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 1:03

I was so disappointed that the chard I planted last year didn't come up. It was probably too warm when I did it. I was so disappointed and figured that the seeds, which were a couple of years old, weren't good anymore. I bought a couple more packets for this year. Oh well:)

While, traipsing through my orchard this morning, there they were as happy as clams, even though we got to 19 last night.

Swiss chard is something everybody should grow! I got my seeds of Erbette from Bountiful Gardens.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Erbette chard planted last year just came up

I think Erbette chard is the best chard in the world. Bountiful Gardens is the ONLY purveyor of Erbette in the US now, and I'm terrified they'll drop it. I've tried a number of other chards, including lettuce type chards, and found them nowhere near as good. The lettuce types attracted a lot of pests.

o

lacyvail, I was inspired by a post from you! I have been getting mine from Bountiful Gardens (love them!) but also found them at Cook's Garden. $4.95 for a 2 gram packet at Cook's Garden, and $2.50 for the same at Bountiful Gardens. (That's a no-brainer!)

Have you been able to save seeds yet? From the previous post it seems that if they over-winter they should bolt and produce seed. They would have to be isolated also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Which variety of swiss chard to grow

This post was edited by milehighgirl on Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 14:05

o

I saved seed years ago, but the arrival of voles changed everything; they devour the roots over the winter, so saving seed is not an option.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here