Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you grow pole beans next to tomatoes

Posted by kristimama SF East bay zn 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 19, 09 at 1:23

Hi everyone,
I'm doing a sort of modified SFG/somewhat intensive planting in my raised bed garden. My tomatoes are in a row in front of a trellis with about 2'x2' per tomato. The trellis is still there but I'm not planning on using it to support the tomatoes. I've actually got some sturdy gauge tomato cages instead. (The nylon trellis didn't work as well for me last year for tomatoes... too much work pruning and tying... anyway...)

So this means there's an open and unused trellis behind the... tee heee... and I got this crazy idea today to throw some pole beans behind the tomatoes.

But my companion planting list says to keep beans and tomatoes separate.

Wondering the reason why? Does it have something to do with the nitrogen fixing?

Can they be planted near eachother?

Thanks!
-kristi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you grow pole beans next to tomatoes

Hi kristi,
My source, see link below, indicates this planting would be ok. Scroll down to the "t" for tomatoes and you will see. There is nothing against this mix listed under "b" for beans.

My DD hasn't had any problems w/ beans planted next to tomatoes and has done this for many years. I wish you all the best!

Here is a link that might be useful: Companion Planting

o

IME, climbing beans planted very close to tomatoes overwhelm them - the vines climb all over the toms and do a better job of getting the sunlight. Maybe behind (by that you mean to the north of?) would work better, and planted after the toms are fairly large. This would be somewhat like corn/beans, where the beans are planted later and tolerate the shade of the corn until the corn starts to dry out and the beans come into their own in late summer.

o

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 19, 09 at 21:19

kristimama

Yes, I was also going to say that you can plant them next to each other as long as the pole beans don't wrap themselves around your tomato plants! IOW, the two vegetables growing next to each other don't harm each other through some sort of chemical conflict. It's just the upper growth of the pole beans that might cause problems.

o

• Posted by alys Zone 5/6 - MO (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 14:11

I've done this. Pole beans on a trellis and tomatoes in cages right next to them. I did end up with a few beans climbing the tomatoes, but for the most part it was fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here