Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pumpkin contest

Posted by stuffradio SW 8a BC (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 12 at 1:37

Are people going to do a pumpkin contest? No money prizes, just for fun. In just over a week, it's time for me to start them inside and a couple weeks more until it's time to directly seed them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pumpkin contest

your on. starting mine in 2 weeks.

o

I've got two Prizewinner seeds sprouted already. ;)

o

Why not?

I put one out back in a waste zone near my fence behind the bushes just for fun (I've never had much luck with pumpkins).

The seed packet had a picture a big, 100 lb Big Max pumpkin, so I have high expectations :-)

o

I'm going for flavor and planted fairy tale or Cinderella pumpkins. Bought a couple last year and couldn't believe how good they were. In the past, I've bought seed that seemed to indicate they planted later for fall harvest, then I would forget to plant them. These seeds were saved from the pumpkins we ate last fall.

Planted watermelon too (our yard will be a mess of vines, but we decided to have some fun with them this year after getting a volunteer in the back last year. A critter or a weed whacker claimed the only melon it produced, so the challenge was on. :D

Both are being overshadowed by a squash that is growing at a frightening pace.

o

I'm starting mine sometime between this week and next.

o

Just started my two vines yesterday. Jarrahdale and Giant Lumina (a squat gray pumpkin and a more traditional shaped white pumpkin).

Normally I wouldn't bother with jack o'lantern pumpkins at all (far easier to just pay $5 for one ready to go), but then I saw this picture and knew I had to grow white ones this year:

Photobucket

I have totally already got a zombie style jack o'lantern design in my head, just waiting for these things!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here