Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

Decisions, decisions...Cucumbers

booberry85
16 years ago

This is the best selection of seeds I've ever had, but it's making it difficult for me to decide what to grow. I wanted to grow Spacemaster and one other cucumber from the seed selection I currently have. Which one would you pick and why?

Armenian

Burpee Hybrid II

Chicago Pickling

Cross Country

Double Feature

Dragon

Lemon

Marketmore 76

Orient Express

Straight Eights

I've grown Marketmore 76's in the past and really want to try something different this year. I do make some pickles and relishes, but the cucumbers are primarily for general consumption. I was leaning towards Orient Express.

Comments (16)

• aka_peggy
    16 years ago

None. I only grow County Fair cukes because they're resistant to cuke beetles.;)

• booberry85
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'd love to get my hands on those seeds as well as a few others like Diva, that are suppose to be resistant to those little *@!@!@!*! buggers. However, I haven't been able to get the seeds locally. I tried posting a "want" for several different cucumber seeds a while back on the Seed Exchange, but no one wanted to trade. So I hopped on Cornell's website to find out whats suppose to fair well in our area and aimed for those!

• kniles38
    16 years ago

Marketmore worked good for me.
    Lemon is a waste of effort.

Favorite eating cuke is Japanese Climbing.

• carolync1
    16 years ago

I have big commercial packs of Diva, Cool Breeze (bitter-free gherkin for both pickling and fresh use) and Tasty Green if you want some seeds.

I think Orient Express might require a pollenizer. Some seeds would be included in the pack, but if you only plant a few seeds, you might not get one that is a pollenizer. Spacemaster would probably work as a pollenizer, though. I'm pretty sure it has both male and female blossoms. Dive and Cool Breeze are all-female, but can set without pollenization.

Summer Dance is my favorite for hot weather. Pinetree carries it, as well as Diva and Cool Breeze. It is somewhat similar to Orient Express, but smoother. I've planted Dive and Cool Breeze, but they won't make it here in July. I will plant Summer Dance this week.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    16 years ago

Booberry85- I am planting Diva this year in my Hoop building. I am putting them out this weekend. I bought the seeds from Johnny's. I hope they turn out. They were a little pricey, but not bad. They have other varieties that are very expensive. What do you have to trade?

I am also growing Armenian*, Tasty Green, Richmond Apple*, White Wonder*, Phoona Kheern*, Jolly Green, and Lemon cucs. (*means new this year) Lemon cucs are one of my favorites. They have a good flavor. Don't let them get too big. Last year they produced good. The year before, I was picking 40-50 pounds a day for a week. Then they slowed down. I was selling them 50 cents each or 4 for a $1. I had too many! I like to make fresh Lemon Cucumber Salsa. It is favorite at our house.

Kniles38- Why do you say Lemon Cucs are a waste of time? What do you not like about them?

Good Luck!

Lemon Cucumber Salsa (Adapted from Paul James Home Grown Cooking on DIY)

1 cup lemon cucumber, peeled and diced
    1/4 cup red onion
    3/4 cup Roma tomatoes, diced ( I love to use different colors of tomatoes, Purple, Yellow, Red, I don't use Romas.)
    2 Tbsp. jalapeno peppers, minced [NOTE: Use less than this, unless you want your salsa very hot.]
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar, Apple cider Vinegar works too!
    1 Tbsp. fresh mint, chopped (optional)
    Juice of half a lime
    Salt and pepper to taste

• booberry85
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carolyn, you're right about Orient Express. It does need a pollinizer. I was hoping that Spacemaster could work for that.

Jrslick, I love the recipe! I'm definitely going to try it this summer. I just saved it in my "Recipes 2 try" file.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A friend of mine that lives nearby grew lemon cukes one year and said they were difficult to grow. Do you have any tricks to growing them? Also, my husband likes his veggies to be "stereotypical." He likes cucumbers to be long and green, tomatoes to be red, beans to be green, etc. However, he does none of the gardening! So he does get an ounce of input, but I get a pound!

16 years ago

Tricks to get them going. Well not really.

I put seeds in the ground, water and look out! I have never had problems with them growing. In fact, they usually take over the cucumber patch. They vine out very quickly.

• aka_peggy
    16 years ago

Booberry, I have a couple of seeds of county market I can spare if you'd like to try them. Diva is also resistant to the CB. I grew it once but I just prefer pickling type cukes which is what CF is.

You can email me but GW email doesn't always work.

• duajones
    16 years ago

The past two years I have grown Boothbys Blonde, County Fair, Boston pickling, Poona Kheera, Lemon, Picklebush and Diva. For fresh eating, Diva is my favorite with Poona Kheera being a close second. Boothbys Blonde cranked them out and so did County Fair as a pickler. Here are a few pics
    Poona Kheera
    {{gwi:37629}}
    County Fair
    {{gwi:33002}}
    Boothby's Blonde
    {{gwi:37630}}
    Diva
    {{gwi:33003}}

• eplina
    16 years ago

l have not tried growing Cucumbers yet. l how ever found this artricles on how to grow . l have been thinking may be l can

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Grow Cucumbers

• jimster
    16 years ago

Of the ones you list, I would choose Chicago Pickling because I like a pickling cuke best for both pickling and fresh eating.

Jim

16 years ago

duajones- I love the pictures. I am going to trellis my cucs this year. I am glad to see all the ones I am going to grow, on a trellis. Is the Poona Kherra productive? I am trying to decide how many of each to grow. I am going to be selling them, so the more the better, within reason!

Booberry- I forgot to add to my list, Picklebush. I have found them to be extremely productive. I don't understand them. It is like you pick one and two more cucs take its place! I usually have to pick them everyday, then I always find a few I miss!

Jay

• duajones
    16 years ago

Jay,

For no particular reason, I have only grown Poona Kheera in containers. They have done well for me and I think may be even more productive in the ground with good soil. Boothbys Blonde, Diva and County Fair really pumped them out for me last year. Diva was somewhat of a slow starter but really became productive once it got going

• booberry85
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carolyn, I tried to email you a couple days ago through the Garden web, but maybe it got stuck in your junk email?

Jay, please check out my trade page and see if anything interests you.

Duajones, thanks for sharing the pics! Those are great!

• midnightgardener
    16 years ago

I'd grow the straight eight. I've had good luck with it in the past.

Here is a link that might be useful: Win A Free Water Timer