Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Days to harvest' info put out by seed companies

Posted by neptune24 GA, 8A (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 7:15

Is it just me, or have others planted vegetables that don't seem to mature in the amount of time advertised on seed packets? For instance, a month ago, I planted some radishes. On the package, it said "25-30 days." Does that start from the time you plant the seeds, or from the time they germinate? Either way, the radishes aren't even close to being ready. The leaves have come up nicely, but the "bulbs" are just tiny. I would say that they need at least 3 more weeks. I've had this same problem with other vegetables too. Do seed companies tend to exaggerate how quickly their seeds will turn into mature vegetables?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Days to harvest' info put out by seed companies

The maturity dates are guidlines based on grower trials. This is under optimum conditions and it can vary based on weather and your growing conditions. I will say that radishes are a very quick crop and most varieties are going to be in the 30 day range from time seed is planted. If yours are around 30days and are not showing a radish but only a stem they are palnted to close or most likely under stress from poor soil or drought or heat and are not likely to form a bulb at this point. I know that is not what you wanted to hear but it is my assesment. Rodger

o

Agree with all rodger said and this is a frequent discussion here so you can use the search button to read more comments if you want.

If your "leaves have come up nicely but the bulbs are just tiny" then there are several possible causes - all of them method-of-planting based and they will not bulb. DTM on the seed packet is nothing more than an estimate based on ideal conditions.

Dave

o

What I find fascinating is that even after many years of growing veggies I had never heard of 'Days to Maturity' before coming on these forums. In the UK seed packets don't give this information at all. I can only imagine that with our variable climate it is well nigh impossible to put a time on when something will be ready, or even when precisely to sow it. For example, I've just picked out a packet at random: Tendergreen bush bean. Sow Mid-March to June. Harvest Mid-June onwards.

As others have said these timings must be based on ideal conditions and your results may fluctuate widely from the ideal.

o

Thanks for the info, Rodger. I think the most likely culprit is poor soil. Actually, I was given the seeds as a freebie from a seed company, and was just using them to mark a row of parsnips, so I honestly don't care that much whether they form bulbs or not. :) I'll just leave them in a little longer and see what happens. LOL.

OK, thanks, Dave--I may do a search on older posts here to learn more about the problems with radishes.

That's interesting the way they label the packets of seeds in the UK, flora_uk. I think I like that approach. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here