Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovegardening84

Pepper seedlings

lovegardening84
12 years ago

So this is the first year I started from seed. All was going beautifully. My peppers were about two inches tall with true leaves so I decided to give them some fresh air. I put them outside and when I went back to check on them the wind had taken them away! I had green peppers, red peppers, jalenpenos, and chili peppers. I could salvage most, but I don't know which r which! I don't want to plant all of the same kind...is there any way to tell them apart at this stage? They all look alike!

Comments (8)

• planatus
    12 years ago

As time goes on and the seedlings resume new growth, you will probably be able to pick out the jalapenos and chilis. The jalapenos will tend toward a slightly darker shade of green, and leaves of many southwestern chilis are often a bit narrow compared to other peppers.

Green peppers and red peppers are the same, so if you can sort out the others, the group may attain some order.

Bear in mind that you're getting advice from someone who mistook a dino kale seedling for broccoli, after working with them both for 10 years.

• Edymnion
    12 years ago

As seedlings its really hard to tell the difference between peppers. Its hard to tell the difference between mature plants without being able to see the actual peppers, but on seedlings of those varieties? Yeah, I at least wouldn't be able to do it.

• tn_gardening
    12 years ago

:-)

Been there, done that. I can't tell em apart until they start putting out peppers (then again, I never really paid too much attention).

As weirdtrev stated, they all require the same conditions, so it's only going to be a real problem if you weren't planning to plant them all.

I have a couple in my garden that I've marked as "mystery" peppers. Kinda makes it exciting.

• Edymnion
    12 years ago

Yeah, my first round of peppers I labeled and kept charts of what was in each cel of my sprouter tray.

By the time they were done, I was replacing them with whatever I had that I wanted to grow and didn't bother writing them down.

Now I have no clue what is in any of those cells anymore. Oops.

• 4hleader
    12 years ago

I just bought one of those "mixed hot peppers" packets so mine came already all mixed up. I do have a question: do peppers need repotting like tomatoes? It'll probably be about 3 weeks before mine can go in the garden. Some have two true leaves, some four.

Thank you!

• Trishcuit
    12 years ago

I don't have the wind to worry about so much, but I do have a toddler who may or may not pull tags out. I use solo cups and write right on the cup. When it is in a cell pack I use a bit of brightly colored nail polish on the end of each row to color code the peppers or tomatoes, one type per row, and then have a decoder sheet somewhere. Because I give away and sell my extras I like to know what people are getting and so do they. :)

• northerner_on
    12 years ago

I have grown lots of different peppers from seed a few times and mine are usually all planted up within a day or two. It seems the most developed (tallest) are the green sweet, jalapenos, and chillies, but to differentiate between these would be impossible for me. Better luck next time.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH