Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Simple, unattached garden gate?

catherinet
12 years ago

We've recently started putting up a new garden fence. The old one could barely be called a fence! We used a combo of cedar 4x4 posts and studded T posts. For a variety of reasons, I don't want a gate that is attached to the cedar post. I just want something that is attached to the posts with bungee cords that I can easily slide off to the side.

It needs to be lightweight and I need to be able to attach chicken wire to it. The gate opening is 5' wide. The fence is 4' high, but I would settle for a gate that is only 3' high.

Besides a wooden frame around it, have any of you used anything else, like PVC tubing or galvanized electrical conduit?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (7)

• tn_gardening
    12 years ago

check this PVC baby gate out:

http://i66.servimg.com/u/f66/14/46/97/21/deck_p10.jpg

Another option is to attach the gate to a separate pole that fits just inside your cedar post. My dad did this when he wanted a gate right next to a brick wall and didn't want to mess with attaching the hinges to the brick wall.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:37690}}

• digit
    12 years ago

I find it quite remarkable that I'm responding to this question, Catherinet. I don't need any checking of authoritative sources to be sure that I don't lead anyone astray. Just my experience and a desire to help . . .

Here is my experience with 2 simple gates: One was essentially 4 "panels" since they amounted to a simple movable enclosure to keep the backyard hens in 1 area or another of the lawn. I used 1/2" pvc pipe, 4 elbows, chicken wire & cable ties -- hated those panels! The chicken wire soon sagged, bagged and snagged on my clothing and, at unexpected moments, on my bare skin! (Those panels have been replaced by movable picket fence panels.)

The other was an actual gate that was part of a garden fence. I had 2 "allotments" in a community garden - about 15 years ago now. I doubled the gate posts -- so, instead of having 2 posts, I had 4 set closely together so that the gate slid down from the top and was held in place - no hinge.

The larger gate posts were part of the fence. The 2 posts behind them were just there to hold the gate and they did a good enuf job to keep dogs and squirrels out, remarkably enuf.

Oddly, they were too much for most visitors to figure out. When I invited someone into my gardens, he or she always had to be helped with the gate. It only required lifting to remove it from the opening - and then had to be set aside, leaning usually against the fence. A few 1by2's with chicken netting tacked securely to them. The gate weighed nothing . . .

Just my ideas, Catherinet, and it was fun to relive those moments of entering and securing my gardens.

Steve

• catherinet
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great ideas digit and tn gardening!

If I were to put chicken wire or welded utility wire on PVC, I could probably (at least with the chicken wire) fold it over the edges, so it wouldn't scratch.??)
    I had another idea......we have a new, but old screen door in the barn that we never used. I could turn it on its side and staple on the chicken wire around the wooden frame. and just move it to the side when getting in and out of the garden. Maybe even put a thin slat of wood over the chicken wire edges so it wouldn't scratch me all the time.

I like the idea of 2 more stakes/poles next to the cedar posts. That way, it could just slide in and out of those and not fall over.

Yesterday, when we were putting up the welded utility wire fence, we had a heck of a time with those clips you're supposed to use for studded T posts. After much groaning and cursing, I thought of cable ties! Duh!! Sooooooooo much easier! I'm going to look for ones made to use outside, so they last longer. But man, was that a piece of cake, as opposed to those clips!
    thanks for all your suggestions!

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

I thought of cable ties! Duh!! Sooooooooo much easier! I'm going to look for ones made to use outside, so they last longer.

The plastic cable ties won't even last a full season - I learned that the hard way - so if you don't want to use wire twists look for the fiberglass strapping ties.

Dave

• catherinet
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Dave,
    Even the UV ones for indoor/outdoor use won't last? You're breaking my heart. haha
    I had thought of wire twists, but just went with what we had. I figured even if the ties don't last, it would give us time to perfect putting on these danged metal clips!
    Thanks!

• bumble_doodle
    12 years ago

I've used black zip/cable ties to secure shepherd's hooks to our aluminum pool fence. I grow bush beans in 5 gallon buckets and the ties have been instrumental in keeping the heavy buckets upright.

My bean buckets
    {{gwi:37693}}

{{gwi:37694}}

• bumble_doodle
    12 years ago

Actually the first pic is my snow peas...sorry 'bout that!