Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How wide are your beds?

Posted by marys1000 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 8:27

Do you make your beds all a uniform width? Or do you say, make a bed wider for cucumbers and squash so they have room and then have a 3' bed for tomatoes, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How wide are your beds?

I use 4' wide beds because the human arm can comfortably reach about 2'. So you can access the entire bed from both sides without contorting yourself or kneeling on soil (which really shouldn't be compacted). Around the perimeter of the garden I use 2' wide beds because they can obviously only be reached from one side anyway.

-Diggity

o

I do what Diggity does.

o

all my beds are two feet wide and vary in length from 6 to 12 ft.... I leave a 3ft aisle between

o

My beds are almost all 4x20 feet. The strawberry bed is a bit wider although I'm cutting it down in size this year and the corn bed is wider, too, to allow for better pollination. The blueberries have a 6x6 foot square bed.

o

about a meter or 3' or 4'

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens straw bale garden

o

Mine are from 7 to 14 feet wide and about 35 feet to 45 feet long. Most of them parallel each other with a foot wide path.

o

Mine are all built at different times and with different materials, so they are different sizes.
I have 2 4x8s, 2 3x8s, 2 3x6s and 2 3x3s. All very manegeble. Nancy

o

39.5 inches wide

(I am short, and my arms don't quite reach 2 feet in comfortably)

~emmers

o

For ease i make mine 4x8, all you need is 3 8'long by 8" deep and cut 1 in half. Very little math and work involved. I do have a few that are 5' wide only cus a managed to salvage 3 10 footers from a demo job, so they are 5x10, but i have long arms so it works. But 4' wide are the most common cus you dont ever have to walk in them.

o

I concur with others all mine are 4 foot wide. I have three 4x4's and three 4x8's. That is the width recommended for square foot gardening for many of the same reasons diggity pointed out. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://georgiahomegarden.blogspot.com/

o

Hard to be sure, but by the names, it looks like you may well be a woman, and that most of the responses have come from men, so I'll chime in from an altitudinally challenged perspective. I had always heard the 4 foot wide thing, and my one wood framed raised bed is that wide and I have a hard time reaching the middle. I'm quite short, and a 3' wide bed is just perfect,

Also, it's not clear if you're building raised beds with wood, or tilling and then hoeing new raised beds each year, or maintaining hoed raised beds from year to year. So .. . .with crop rotation you would need to use your wide squash bed for something different the next year any way (unless you till and change beds each year). One way to use a wide bed for something that seems to need a narrower bed the next year (beans, for example) is to plant across the bed in short narrow rows.

Hope this helps!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here