Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does asparagus spread or stay put?

Posted by keepitlow 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 27, 11 at 8:30

Can one just amend a small area to plant asparagus? Or does a large area of the ground need to done if it spreads?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does asparagus spread or stay put?

Spreads.

Dan

o

The only way gus spreads is by germinated seeds. The crown certainly does not migrate nor does it send out runners--nor can you divide that crown. Even the supposedly all-male varieties are only 75% male, so a few will still bear seeds. You can contain any spreading plant by weeding, mulching, mowing, or creating barriers.

Brook

o

I like single clumps to spread.

o

Well I guess I've done it wrong. I have devided spred clumps of asparagus and had it grow out in the new location. So if the crown doesn't spred and you only get new growth from seed I guess I did it wrong. For now Ill vote for it spreds.

o

keepitlow - it will gradually increase in spread but not agressively like raspberries or other running plants. But you also need to remember an asparagus bed can be in place for years so thorough preparation is important. Get rid of all perennial weeds and make sure the soil is in good condition, deep and fertile. Your asparagus will be in it a long time.

o

Expanding our view a bit, I've never had a client who didn't want to expand their asparagus bed. One or two crowns will only whet your appetite and be at best a couple meals after many years. Homegrown asparagus is sooooooooooooooo much better than those green things from the store. You'll see. And want more.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here