Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keepitlow

Does asparagus spread or stay put?

keepitlow
13 years ago

Can one just amend a small area to plant asparagus? Or does a large area of the ground need to done if it spreads?

Comments (11)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Spreads.

Dan

• brookw_gw
    13 years ago

The only way gus spreads is by germinated seeds. The crown certainly does not migrate nor does it send out runners--nor can you divide that crown. Even the supposedly all-male varieties are only 75% male, so a few will still bear seeds. You can contain any spreading plant by weeding, mulching, mowing, or creating barriers.

Brook

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    13 years ago

I like single clumps to spread.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

keepitlow - it will gradually increase in spread but not agressively like raspberries or other running plants. But you also need to remember an asparagus bed can be in place for years so thorough preparation is important. Get rid of all perennial weeds and make sure the soil is in good condition, deep and fertile. Your asparagus will be in it a long time.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Expanding our view a bit, I've never had a client who didn't want to expand their asparagus bed. One or two crowns will only whet your appetite and be at best a couple meals after many years. Homegrown asparagus is sooooooooooooooo much better than those green things from the store. You'll see. And want more.

Dan

• ActionClaw (Northern Ohio zone:5a/5b)
    7 years ago

So what is the answer?
    Assuming one planted in a trench every 18" as is recommended, will each crown grow wider so that, eventually, there will be one continuous row of asparagus without gaps?

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    7 years ago

Yes, they fill in and you need a bed at least 3 feet wide.

• Labradors
    7 years ago

If they do spread, they are very slow to do it. If you only have a small area to spare, that will be fine.

I've attempted to move an asparagus roos and obviously left part of it behind because it has come up in the old spot, so it appears that you can divide them (if you have the energy). The roots get pretty big!

Linda

• ActionClaw (Northern Ohio zone:5a/5b)
    7 years ago

I was, originally, somewhat rushed into getting into the ground some potted asparagus plants and crowns I had before I fully knew what the best action to take was. Most things I believe I did right, the plants all returned, are all growing successfully and seem to be doing pretty well. Afterward, I continued to read about "how to grow asparagus" correctly and have since found that I've done a few things wrong: specifically, I spaced many of the plants only a foot or slightly more from each other and not into a "row" but more of a "patch" if that matters.

I've seen recommendations to allow for 18" up to 36" between plants. Is it worthwhile to transplant these plants with more appropriate spacing?

My understanding is that asparagus can develop up to ten foot roots. How large can they get in only a few years?

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    7 years ago

I planted a 4' x 12' asparagus plot 14 years ago. It's about the same size today though it has expanded about a foot out on all 4 sides, not enough to make a difference. But the female plants do spread their seeds as brookw says so I'd avoid planting females if possible. Mine were supposed to be all males 14 years ago, had 3 females mixed in the batch which I wished I had pulled out 13 years ago.