Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to move (and divide) rhubarb

Posted by leira 6 MA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 9:00

I'm doing some serious re-working of my garden beds, and the rhubarb is in an area that's about to be buried under a raised bed.

Clearly it's too late to be moving it right now (and besides, I'm not doing anything to keep me from harvesting this year!), but when and/or should I move it? It could handle some dividing, too. Should I do it right after I stop harvesting? Should I wait until the Fall? I certainly hope I don't need to wait until next Spring!

Ideally, I'd like to be able to harvest again next year. What do you all think?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to move (and divide) rhubarb

Fall after it dies back and goes dormant.

Dave

o

My garden development has been a bit like a game of Tetris. Many plants have come into my possession before my beds were really ready for them, and the rhubarb is no exception. I really want to plant asparagus where the rhubarb is now, since it's up against the fence where tall things should go...of course, I already have some asparagus plants, and I guess they'll need to go *somewhere* this year, and get moved next year.

I hate gardening this way, really, but I'm in the city, and I have limited space...plus part of my yard is on top of a shale bed, and I really need raised beds on that side of the yard. We do a bit of the construction each year, but it's a hard and slow process.

o

• Posted by lonmower zone8 Western Oregon (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 10:44

Fall is best. But my experience is that rhubarb is very hardy and you could move it at any time without a problem as long as you keep it moist in the summer. If you are careful ...it might not even die back

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here