Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
volunteer asparagus

Posted by ldj1002 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 28, 11 at 9:19

This year I have some small fern looking plants coming up in my asparagus bed. They never had the asparagus look before looking like a fern. They look like a small asparagus fern. Could that be asparagus?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: volunteer asparagus

Those are probably female plants. Were you growing an all-male type?

o

Supposed to be all male but I understand that male doesn't have the berries, some of mine did. Don't remember the variety.
Those little plants, should I remove them?

o

If it was me....I would leave them, they will add Asparagus to your bed (you can't have too much Asparagus ;-)
The Males are better (but mainly to a commercial grower ,whose livelihood is based upon critical percentages ,their bottom line has to be met or they don't make a profit), but for a backyard gardener, the difference in production is maybe 10% less than optimum. Totally Wonderful... Enjoy

Photobucket

Photobucket

4-25-2011

o

I picked some and put it in a pan within 2 hours of picking. That was some good eating. Olive oil, garlic, onion and some course black pepper lightly sauteed. Good stuff!

o

The "small fern looking plants" coming up in your asparagus bed are probably asparagus volunteers as you suspected. Seedlings are not much larger than a pencil lead the first year and get ferny leaved right away. It will take a couple of years or more for them to grow to usable size. As Jon says, leave them and they will increase your crop.

Jim

o

• Posted by dgbeig SanFran -z10 (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 29, 11 at 11:39

Wow, jon.
Those are huge....are some literally as thick as a quarter??

What year are they? (how old) and What variety?

o

They are awesome, the last pic is my sixth harvest this year...so far ;-)
I planted the crowns last year 2-18-2010

I have no idea what they are, but they sure are delicious ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: French Intensive/BioDynamic Asparagus (see all four)

o

• Posted by dgbeig SanFran -z10 (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 29, 11 at 17:15

amazing!
Only a year old, too?
Were the stems thick when they came up last year? and I'm assuming you didn't harvest anything last year....
how many plants and how often are you harvesting?

o

I didn't take any last year, 16 plants and I planted more this year ;-)

They were all thin and went right to "fern"....

Every couple of days ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here