Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can I plant with Brussels Sprouts

Posted by Spooker15 FL (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 9:31

My fiance and I bought a home on 2 acres in central FL and I've started a garden and we are building a greenhouse as well. I want to make maximum use of my space so I was wondering what I can plant with brussels sprouts. I've grown them in years past and I know they grow very tall....but what would be a good compliment to them? I did quite a bit of container gardening when I lived in the city, but now I want to grow enough food to freeze and can for my family. Any suggestions for this newby? THANKS!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can I plant with Brussels Sprouts

This past fall I planted spinach and carrots with my mine. You do know that in the South brussels are a fall crop only?

o

Yes, as Deborah says, don't plant in FL until summer heat is done. Same here in Socal.

I tend to believe companion planting advice tends to be more anecdote than science, but overall I believe in polycultures over monocultures.

They say alliums are helpful for brassicas. I tend to plant green onions (allium fistulosum) as a cut & come again crop along with other things. They do well as a cool-season crop.

Lettuces get along with lots of crops, and as they do well in partly shady conditions and cooler weather, they might do well in the understory with the brussel sprouts.

o

In terms of companion planting, I like to think along the lines of niches both in space and in time.

So, in terms of space we can look at tall plants vs, short plants, shallow roots vs. deep roots, etc.

Opportunities in time would be something like sowing very short season crops (such as a baby greens mix) alongside a long-season crop, such as brusell sprouts (120 days). The greens mix will grow quickly and you can start harvesting after a few weeks, gradually thinning the greens as the brussel sprouts need more space.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here