Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dog ran through asparagus patch

Posted by DanielleOH 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 9:38

Hi all. I was wondering what the consequences of this will be. I am watching my brother's dog and after being told multiple times to stay out of my flowers and asparagus bed, he runs full tilt through my asparagus bed and flowers. As a result, he broke off the tips of several asparagus stalks (from 5 or 6 different crowns). The tips were all only 1-3 inches long. I planted 2 year old crowns last year and did not harvest anything. I was hoping to get something this year, but not sure how this incident will effect my crop and my ability to harvest. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dog ran through asparagus patch

Hmmm, I not sure about the aspargus, I'm just lightly harvesting my first crop this year. I did lose the first spears to a sudden freeze and they still seem to be growing, but I had decided not to harvest from those plants affected.

But as for the dog, it takes serious training to teach them boundaries like "out of the garden", to them it is just more ground, more green stuff, more shrubbery to bound through. You can't just tell a dog to not run through your garden and expect him to have the foggiest notion what you mean. :) Try having his favorite squeaky toy on hand and if he heads towards the garden call him and squeak it and tell him how awesome he is when he comes to you... Unless you are on the other side of the garden to begin with. Cheers!

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 10:44

Hope you can eat the tips.
It may slow the growth a little, but should not hurt them, gus will put out more spear. Chain the dog.
NMO. You can harvest from seedling after 4 years,from 1 year plants after 3 years,2 year plants after 1 year.
So you should be fine, keep the bed watered.

o

Thanks for the replies. So far I have not seen new growth from the plants, but this drought then cold spell probably has not helped anything. I will keep the bed watered.

As to the dog, I know dogs don't typically know the difference. My own dog is insanely smart and if I tell him out, he knows to leave where he is. He also doesn't set foot in my flowers. He has me a bit spoiled and it was my own fault for checking on things with my brother's dog outside playing. The dog has gone home, so I shouldn't have any other animal problems unless the deer decide to venture in the patch next.

o

I occasionally catch my dogs eating my asparagus.

http://agrowingcuriousity.blogspot.com/

o

My dog *LOVES* asparagus. I don't grow it, but when I make it, fully half goes to him. I can see how a patch might be compelling to a dog with the same tastes. (My dog is great about staying out of my garden beds - though he's been known to reach in and steal cherry tomatoes.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here