Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
williammorgan

Started Corn Yesterday

williammorgan
10 years ago

Last year I simply didn't have enough money to give my corn the attention it needed. Stalks were small and full of worms. This year my situation improved a bit and I just couldn't wait to get started.

This bed which is about 20x17 feet has been warming up and kept dry with a sheet of clear plastic over top for a couple of weeks. Before that I had placed some blue tarp over it. So it was already warm as weed seeds germinated. I figured I'd take it easy and only do a few thing. It started just adding cow manure to my potato bed. Then it turned to mulching. next thing you know I was adding some organic pesticide to the corn rows, laying down black plastic, and creating little teepees out of left over pvc, old garden stakes etc.

I can tell you this much I'm feeling it today. I lugged those two bags of cow manure and some other things in my Burley Trailer and this sort of thing has been going on for days.

Cool weather to come but the corn that I soaked should pop under that plastic soon enough giving me a jump. My only fear now is they grow too fast. I do have straw on hand. It will be difficult to water as well. However success and or accomplishments start with taking chances and not following conventionality. I've grown corn in a large greenhouse before and the main problem was it grew too high. I'm talking more than 12' high. By June 3rd the corn was 4' tall.

If my daring experiment works I should enjoy some nice Stowell's Evergreen Sweet Corn(not nutrasweet corn)in late July.
http://youtu.be/Bv90jYfH5U0

Comments (4)