Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Started Corn Yesterday

Posted by williammorgan 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 9:39

Last year I simply didn't have enough money to give my corn the attention it needed. Stalks were small and full of worms. This year my situation improved a bit and I just couldn't wait to get started.

This bed which is about 20x17 feet has been warming up and kept dry with a sheet of clear plastic over top for a couple of weeks. Before that I had placed some blue tarp over it. So it was already warm as weed seeds germinated. I figured I'd take it easy and only do a few thing. It started just adding cow manure to my potato bed. Then it turned to mulching. next thing you know I was adding some organic pesticide to the corn rows, laying down black plastic, and creating little teepees out of left over pvc, old garden stakes etc.

I can tell you this much I'm feeling it today. I lugged those two bags of cow manure and some other things in my Burley Trailer and this sort of thing has been going on for days.

Cool weather to come but the corn that I soaked should pop under that plastic soon enough giving me a jump. My only fear now is they grow too fast. I do have straw on hand. It will be difficult to water as well. However success and or accomplishments start with taking chances and not following conventionality. I've grown corn in a large greenhouse before and the main problem was it grew too high. I'm talking more than 12' high. By June 3rd the corn was 4' tall.

If my daring experiment works I should enjoy some nice Stowell's Evergreen Sweet Corn(not nutrasweet corn)in late July.
http://youtu.be/Bv90jYfH5U0

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Started Corn Yesterday

I always wanted to try different corn varieties. Last year I tried Golden Bantam and it was a great experience. Pests are a nightmare with corn but I used Neem Oil to keep it under control.

Here is a link that might be useful: Treating corn silk with Neem Oil

o

we to had a bad time with corn last year. it was cold and wet late into the season which stunted the plants bad. we did manage to get a small harvest with small ears. this year iwill be composting heavier and starting outside later.

o

Thanks for the link. I will definitely look into neem oil. Sorry I took so long to reply. After I did that strenuous project I went onto another one...TAXES! lol totally drained me in more ways than one.

I've grown Golden Bantam before. It's very small. Funny there's a 3 Stooges episode where Curly was biting on the cuckoo clock's weights and after Moe confronts him he say he thought it was Golden Bantam which is about the same size.

o

Yeah Andy, corn is really sensitive. I figure I only have last year's seed to lose. I could replant later. Oak leaves aren't out yet but are starting here. Traditionally you plant when they're the size of squirrel's ears. However you still can get some cold so it;'s always a good idea to have something like straw or row covers to protect them over night.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here