Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ghostred7

Noob multi-questions

GhostRed7
11 years ago

I've searched and read tutorials here and all over the internet, but without humans to answer specifically....too many contradictions out there.

Here's my situation (graphically as best as possible): Only have a limited area to put my box (making a raised bed). This area is in front of the house ~2-4' away from the wall. This area gets ~5-8hrs of direct sunlight per day right now. There is a tree in front that has me a little worried about blocking the sun when it grows out....really won't know for another month on that. I want to do a veggie & herb garden. I also want to "bury" soaker hoses. Now, one thing I really haven't seen much of is mulch vs. no-mulch in veggie gardens. Should I make raised rows for the plants and mulch in between the rows? No mulch at all? Cover the entire thing? I was thinking to do raised rows for the plants, run the soakers between the rows, and mulch in between the rows...but not sure if it's a good idea or not. Is why I turned to you expert folks :P

Here's a mock-up. North is essentially at the 10-11 o'clock facing the house/yard. Sun hits completely covers the area where i want the bed by 3P EDT with the first light hitting it ~12-1P.

(EDIT: the bed would be closer to the right edge of the house....the site doesn't like my txt drawing)

===========================================
: :
: :
:____________edge of house _______________:
:===========:
:===========: :----------------------------:
:===========: :3.5' x 8-10' raised bed:
:===========: :----------------------------:
(stairs)

Thanks in advance and pardon the noobness.

Comments (3)