Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting veggies and fruits next to the house OK?

Posted by editornj 7 Coastal NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 9:59

Forgive me if this has already been explored. My forum search results weren't successful.

I have a huge empty bed on the South/West side of my house. It's the "back" so I'm not too interested in pretty foundation shrubs.

Are there health or house concerns in doing this? We built the house 4 years ago. The previous house was torn down... and it was originally built in the '60s.

Our basement is very dry, with a pump and a French drain.

I'm open to a raised-bed, but I laid cardboard last year, and now the soil is really nice.

Thanks so much!!!
Al

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting veggies and fruits next to the house OK?

If it's right next to where an old house used to be, you might have the soil tested for lead. Your county extension office can do this for you for a reasonable price.

Other than that, I'd just do it!

o

Lead and arsenic other heavy metals tend to be highest at the drip zone around a house. Vegetables do uptake heavy metals from the soil. In fact the engineering professor im doing independent study with has a grad student looking at contaminated community gardens. They found tomatoes with 16 ppm and arugula with 30!

o

It sounds like a good location - the south side of the house should get plenty of sun. Unless the former owners dumped chemicals in the ground, I wouldn't worry.

Here is a link that might be useful: What's Growing On?

o

If termite treatment is common in your area, your foundation soil also may be generously laced with Dursban, chlordane, or other serious chemicals that bind to soil, which were heavily used for several decades. This precaution applies only to the area right around the foundation, which may have been altered when you rebuilt.

o

Hi,

I am an EPA Certified Lead Paint Risk Assessor. Leira and Mindyw3 are correct about the likely presence of lead contamination in those areas. (Mindy's post in particular) There is more information about lead in soil here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening and lead contaminated soil

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here