Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengeek36091

What can I plant here? Ideas wanted

gardengeek36091
12 years ago

I have put together some cattle panels as bean trellises and noticed there's some real estate underneath that I should be able to put to good use somehow. I just can't stand having a spot in my garden that's not being effectively utilized!! Here is a picture of what I've got:

{{gwi:38743}}

This area is about 25'x7' and around 5 feet tall in the middle. I've killed all the grass/weeds beneath the trellises and am going to lay down some cardboard and mulch to keep it from coming back. I planted the beans about a week or so ago, so they are just now coming up. The area gets full sun, but as the beans grow, it will shade the area beneath them.

Ok all you garden wizards, what would YOU plant under there? Thanks in advance for your help and I look forward to your ideas!

Mark

Comments (5)

• denninmi
    12 years ago

Well, quick crops -- lettuce, spinach, arugula, that sort of thing. I think when the beans grow it will be too shady under there for much of anything to do well.

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Make sure you leave some room to harvest those delicious beans! I love your tunnel. What did you use to cut the wire? Where did you purchase your cattle paneling?
    We need some for some fencing (so water can flow through under wooden fence but keep critters and debris out), and I need to get more to finish off my own arches.
    Mustard, carrots, tokyo bena greens, senaposai, komatsuna and swiss chard (or indian beta greens) will do well under there. I'm afraid that it will be too hot for spinach in zone 8.

Let us know how it goes!!

• gardengeek36091
    Original Author
    12 years ago

girlgroupgirl,

I bought the cattle panel from Tractor Supply. They come in 4'x16' sheets, so I didn't cut it. I just arched it up between some fence posts and it holds really well. It has 6" holes, so it would keep larger critters out. It's great for trellises! I've added a couple more onto the end since I took this picture.

I should have mentioned this earlier, but I've already got a lettuce bed and I thought about some other leafy veggies, but I'm wondering if they would start to bolt before they got big enough to get much of a harvest.

• soonergrandmom
    12 years ago

I have several cattle panels but most are used as a straight trellis. I have one that was cut in half and then mounted vertical which I will grow green beans on this year. I have two that are mounted with the long side parralel to the ground where I plant tomatoes.

I have one that is in an arch somewhat like yours, but with a distinct bend at the top rather than a gentle curve. It goes over a walk way and this year it has sugar snap peas and along the inside has a few onions that will be used as green onions and pulled before the peas totally shade them out. This is a very strong trellis so in the past I have grown breen beans, zuchetta squash, cucumbers, and large tomato plants. Las year the tomatoes were Sungold, Black Cherry, and Tess's Land Race. Tess is a tiny, tiny tomato but grows on a huge vine.

When the peas are done for this year, I will probably plant Zuchetta Squash and Tess. I will plant them before the peas come down, but before the other plants are in need of a climbing space. Timing is important if you want to keep utilizing the space all year. Another good choic for mid summer would be long beans (a type of cowpea).

• carol6ma_7ari
    12 years ago

How about a chaise longue, a side table for books and a large glass of iced tea? The tunnel might be high enough to walk in - I can't tell - but if not, one could squat in, or maybe enter doing the Limbo :)

Seriously, lettuce might survive longer in the dappled shade, and also some herbs. If you want a few shade-tolerant flowers, try impatiens and begonia.

Carol