Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megret7

Cat using raised bed as litter box -- help!

megret7
12 years ago

I have a raised bed (built last year) that gave us a summer's worth of beautiful vegetables and herbs.

In the fall, I planted spinach, lettuce and carrots. Throughout the fall and early winter our cat decided to use the raised bed as a litter box. Cat poop is semi-buried and on the surface throughout the bed. I didn't eat any of the cool weather veggies; it killed me to just pull them and throw them out.

I am getting ready to put my indoor veggie seedlings out and don't want a repeat occurrence. I've heard so many solutions: Fence (which seems silly for a small raised bed), planting lavender around the edge, sprinkling cayenne (and reapplying after rain), even putting dog hair (from a groomer) around the perimeter to discourage cats (and even deer).

Does anyone know of a good, cheap, easy fix for this?

And before planting, should I just skim off the top 3-4" of littered soil or empty the entire bed and start over with new soil?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (73)

• novagrdnr7
    12 years ago

We had this problem last year with ours and a neighbor's cats in our beds. We found success at keeping them out by placing orange peels at each corner and about midway down each side. We would twist them a bit to release more aroma. The only negative is that they dry out very quickly, so you have to do this every 2-3 days.

• aka_rach
    12 years ago

Scrunched up bird netting just set on top of your beds will discourage digging...by cats and chickens :) Easy to remove or to lift as plants grow and can be reused again and again.

• diane13
    12 years ago

Hello All! - This is the first summer my cats have been allowed to roam the backyard, so I knew they would be curious about my 6 - 3' x 3' raised beds of my veggie garden. I bought a few packages of 'Cat Scat' on-line from Gardener's Supply - www.gardeners.com - item #31-954. A set of 5 8-1/2" x 7" plastic mats have flexible plastic spikes to 'discourage feline excavation'. The description near the picture says 'prickly plastic teeth confuse and irritate cats without harming them'. I put 2 mats in 2 beds in-between some plants, and so far, my kitties haven't bothered my garden.

• nancyjane_gardener
    12 years ago

Get out the fudgesicles! I put popsicle sticks everywhere Much like the fork garden! And don't seem to have any problems.
    When I used to find the poops, I'd get a trowel and fling them over the fence to the neighbor's yard who supplied the cats! NT

• nygardener
    12 years ago

I'll bet wooden barbecue skewers would work nicely.

Well, I covered the bed with brush and we'll see how that does.

• nygardener
    12 years ago

The cat climbed over and pushed aside the brush to continue scratching in the bed. I'm off to pick up some bamboo skewers (sigh).

• sunsi
    12 years ago

dan_staley QUOTE:
    "My solution is to use cut blackberry canes"

Yup, that's what we've been using for years, highly recommended and works like a charm (from a family with 5 cats). Anything with thorns on it works plus it still let's the light through, it's not labor intensive (wear gloves) and it's cheap. Good luck :)

• nygardener
    12 years ago

I'm game. Do you surround the bed with the canes, or lay them over the top?

• infonose
    9 years ago

I just found this discussion because I now have this problem. I would think that blackberry canes around the edge wouldn't deter them, as they would jump over. I am going to try forks, dried hard sharp holly leaves, etc. What about eating the vegetables raw? I grow most of mine for salad and smoothies.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

What about eating the vegetables raw? I grow most of mine for salad and smoothies.

As mentioned several times above, assuming you wash everything well before eating there is no need for concern.

Dave

• JoppaRich
    9 years ago

"But dont you all worry about the plants uptaking anything that gets left behind and watered into the soil from the poo and pee?"

Soil is basically just decomposed poo, pee, leaves, and dead animals.

Plants don't take up bacteria. They don't take up animal viruses. The big worry with feces in garden beds is it getting splashed onto leaf vegetables that are then eaten raw without being sufficiently cleaned.

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

Last year I had the problem of cats thinking the garden is a litter box. We own 5 cats so getting rid of them is not an option. I did a few things, and so far this season no cats pooping in the garden beds.

1. I used a thick layer of No Float cypress mulch. When it was a thin layer they just pushed it to the side. When I doubled that they quit pooping in it, and have not since. It is large, and chunky. They do not like to dig in it. They will cross the garden, and lay in it. I am fine with that. My white tabby mix likes to catch grass hoppers in the garden. The only problem is he likes to bring them into my wife while they are still alive. Also the mulch will help to hold in the water in the heat of summer. Here that is a good thing.

2. Planted cat nip on the side of the house. 4 out of 5 of our cats go bonkers for it. They love it. I had to put some sticks in it to keep them from rolling it to death. I have 3 plants in 2 planters.

3. I put a litter box out for them. I scoop the box a couple of times a week. Seems they like the box for its ease of digging as opposed to the chunky cypress chips.

Here is pic of the beds. The cat nip is not shown, nor is the litter box.

• williammorgan
    9 years ago

This used to be a major problem in my yard. One of my neighbors had upwards of 60 cats! Cat's have poor digestive systems and that's why their crap smells so bad. It's poison to humans and dogs(my dogs have got sick).

Watching the birds I can see why they pick to nest in a thorn bush, cats hate thorns.

Chicken wire is a possible solution too. It's relatively cheap and lasts a long time.

Cats are easily spooked so noise makers are useful like pie tins.

I actually make it very personal with the cats in my neighborhood. They're more afraid of me than my dog. If I see them crossing the street I will make sure they know I can see them. sounds sill, perhaps insane to some but cats a territorial. If you give them an inch they'll crap a mile. Everytime i see one I make sure my dog knows so the cat knows as well I am watching them like a hawk.

If your bed is 4 feet wide you could lay tack strips across it. I don't think a cat would like to step on those. I like the plastic fork idea.

Just always remember when a cat does this they are telling you that you no longer own the land they do. A cat only responds to force. You have to show em who is boss. Cats in my neighborhood will stalk my dog on her walks. To make sure my dog is not humiliated I will walk they other way and let her lunge at the cat. It's really a war. I think cat owners are very inconsiderate. Cats are feral and eat live things and their feces are full of dangerous bacteria.

One other step is a trap and turn the cat over to the pound and then the owner thinks twice after having to bail their cat out $$.

• toadstar
    9 years ago

My grandmother kept a BB gun by the door in case she saw any cats invading her garden. It was rather effective, never saw the same cat back again twice.

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

Another thing worth mention is a trick I learned when I lived in grizzly bear country. It kept critters out of the trash, and gardens. You would have to see the damage a moose can do to a garden at night, much less a cat.

Place some tampons soaked in ammonia (Janitorial strength. It cost about $2 or so at most hardware stores.) around the bed. When I was in bear country they were tied every few feet on the fence of the garden. Also we hung them on the trash cans as well. When trash was taken out we had a jar to freshen up the ones on the dumpster. No critters got close to anywhere they were hung up.

• timtex
    9 years ago

I had the same problem at our previous house, but I was just growing flowers. The stench was so bad I didn't want to go near the raised bed. I know it's controversial, but the bottom line is cats belong indoors. The city I live in has a strict code about this, and my two cats never go outside. I mean, if you had a ferret would you let it run all over the neighborhood? And then there's the fact that dogs have to be confined. I eventually started trapping cats in a Havahart trap in my backyard and then turned them over to the city. But we've since moved to an area that actually has coyotes around it, so hopefully most people will keep their cats safely indoors.

• EmmJay
    9 years ago

Did you try the cayenne pepper powder? I don't know about cats, but it works wonders for armadillos. I'd go either that route or the scarecrow/motion activated sprinklers. I feel your pain because even though I don't have a garden, I have outdoor cats come around to the windows to mess with my indoor kitties. One of them actually destroyed my screen, and I don't know who owned it so I couldn't make them pay. Good luck with keeping the cats out.

• october17
    9 years ago

â¢Posted by williammorgan 6b (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 22:15

"Cat's have poor digestive systems and that's why their crap smells so bad. It's poison to humans and dogs(my dogs have got sick). "

And dog poop is . . .?

"Cats are easily spooked so noise makers are useful like pie tins. " This is a good idea,

"Just always remember when a cat does this they are telling you that you no longer own the land they do. A cat only responds to force. You have to show em who is boss. Cats in my neighborhood will stalk my dog on her walks. To make sure my dog is not humiliated I will walk they other way and let her lunge at the cat. It's really a war. I think cat owners are very inconsiderate. Cats are feral and eat live things and their feces are full of dangerous bacteria. "

You can't be serious about any of this last paragraph.

Really, the cats are not stalking your dog. I guarantee it.

• infonose
    9 years ago

The problem has resolved itself, at least for now. I never got around to doing anything like mulch or other physical barriers. The garden grew over any bare patches and is a messy but productive space. I think my cats were attracted to the fresh uncovered soil, and as long as it is. covered they go elsewhere. BTW, one of them killed a baby mole and left it untouched. I finally buried it, they dug it up, I re-buries and covered with a huge rock, and they uncovered it again. Very confusing. They go to great lengths to dig up a vole they wouldn't touch before, yet they are deterred by a few stalks in the veggie bed.

• Tim
    9 years ago

Glad to hear the problem resolved itself for now, although it sounds like you have the problem of an overgrown garden now. lol
    Anyway, moving forward I agree with what many others have posted about putting obstacles in your garden. Cats are very finicky about where they do their business. If their are obstacles in the way such as boards, large rocks, garden décor, even plastic forks, the cats won't poop there. I have a hosta bed mulched with pine straw that the neighborhood cats thought was a fine litter box. I used pieces of scrap wood as obstacles and the cats stopped pooping there. It wasn't very aesthetic but it solved the problem. It also made for an interesting conversation starter. lol
    Get creative with the obstacles and barriers. For example, you might try placing stepping stones in between your rows of veggies. Not only would they prove to be effective obstacles, but would also give you something to walk on while you harvest your garden. And you could avoid it getting overgrown in the future. Just a thought...

This post was edited by plantingman on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 16:45

• auri
    9 years ago

I have heard a helpful remedy, is to mark the garden yourself. I have never tried it, and can't speak from first hand experience, but I heard it from a wise older woman who has been gardening for decades. How it works is you pee in a bucket or disposable cup, dilute it a little so that it will last to pour over the whole garden surface area. Cats don't like the smell, and will not bother the area.

I can understand the frustration, as cat urine is a horrid smell that you can never get out (I own a cat!). Every time you water your garden you may get slapped in the face with stink from stale cat urine. It's worth a shot, and takes less time & money than buying dozens of poles, forks, sticks, etc.

Let me know if anyone has success?? It sounds logical to me.

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

So, since my last post (popsicle sticks) there have been an influx of feral cats around our country property and the main offenders won't take care of business!
    We trapped, along with some other neighbors, most of the cats and the local Humane Society fixed and vaccinated them and returned them as garden or barn cats for free! Haven't seen any kittens since!
    BUT we still have a bunch of cats hanging around!
    I got a load of bamboo from freecycle to make some things in the garden, and ended up with a bunch of small bamboo branches! I criss crossed them and also stuck them into the soil. This didn't interfere with planting or anything and has kept the kitties out of the soil til the plants are large enough to cover things!
    We also use a lot of cardboard (ugly, but effective!) and wire over the beds (the problem with wire, is that you have to take it up to re-do your beds each spring or fall!
    I have also used a wire tent, which also works for tenting for too much heat or cold. Nancy

• Tim
    9 years ago

LOL! Auri that is great! A great excuse for little boys to whip it out and let the pee fly...in the garden. :-)

• nulty
    9 years ago

Some great suggestions and worth trying some of them and as i have nine cats i have to cover seed beds with chicken wire,..for Lettuce and edibles i use a frame of wood with chicken wire,..granted i only have to feed myself therefore the chicken wire frames are small,.. however i have used very large frames in my previous garden and depending on the size of the veg grown resulted in various sized frames,..very easy to construct them.

• Tim
    9 years ago

Another method may be to get a dog that does not like cats to be a sort of a guardian of the garden. You would need to train the dog to not lie or dig in the garden and then to chase cats and other small animals away but not children or visitors.

• aliciainwonderland
    9 years ago

I have had a repeated problem with our neighbors' cat constantly tearing up my her garden. Even when I moved my herbs to hanging baskets. I planted rid in my herb garden this year and he has finally started staying away! Good luck! :)

• perennial2014
    9 years ago

Just bought coleus canina, aka plectranthus caninus, aka 'scaredy cat plant', as sold in the UK as a cat deterrent. Two cats currently lodge at our place, but my wife reckons the fouling in my greenhouse is the responsibility of a rival feline over the road. Will report back on the results.

• chloenkitty
    9 years ago

I know it's a pain, but these poor animals don't know that is a garden. If it's your own cat, I don't know what to say, but if it's a stray cat, it's no fault of their own that they are homeless. Blame the people that don't take proper care of their animals. I hate the thought of an innocent animal hurting their paw etc when it's only instinct for them.

• silversinger
    9 years ago

In our flowerbeds and smaller gardens we have had immense success with mouse traps.
    We buy 1.5" stryofoam balls from the dollar store, cut them in half and glue them to a corner of the trap so it doesn't break kitty toes or infant fingers. Tie a string to the trap and stake it down.
    We have them every foot or so and they keep all cats, dogs, and even the deer from walking in the beds we have the mouse traps in.

Those motion detecting water sprayers work well in much larger gardens as long as you don't mind a slightly higher water bill.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

I just discovered this thread and didn't read all of it, but I have found that a few mouse traps scattered and covered with fine dirt or mulch will snap their tails when they touch the traps. They soon get the message that this place is not the potty of choice

• ardcp
    9 years ago

what all you cat haters are forgetting to consider is all the rodents the pesky cat is catching for you!
    be thankful when your property has less mice, chipmunks, squirrels, bunnies that will do a hella more damage to your house and garden than the cat!
    ps in most states purposefully hurting domestic animals is a finable offense.

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    9 years ago

Free range cats are generally an ecological disaster, right up there with feral swine, goats and rats.

If you love your cats, cut em and confine em and they will not only be happier, they will live much longer and be healthier. And the rest of us will have less of their mess to deal with.

• aloha10
    9 years ago

I tried lots of tricks and found the most effective to be the simplest. Spray your beds with water...... Plain water. Cats do not like wet litter boxes. They will go away and find a more suitable place to complete their toilet.

• saldut
    9 years ago

If you use cow manure, chicken poo, Milorganite- etc. in your garden, it is no different than cat or dog poo... farmers use raw poo all the time, and we eat the products of that poo....... and they keep lots of cats in the barn for rat control.... in Asia they use 'night dew' on crops.... do you know what that is? It's the pail they keep under the bed for calls of nature....and we eat the food they send us.... we also eat their fish and a lot of it is 'farmed' in pond-water and guess what that 'pond' is, if your fish-monger is truthful he will tell you..... or maybe he doesn't know, or care... after all, the stores buy the cheapest stuff they can find, in bulk, and couldn't care less abt. where it was raised , or grew..... something I do not understand, is the cruelty being advocated by some of us, and making a big problem of something so small....sally

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

I us a 42 inch tall fence that keeps deer, cats, dogs but not squirrels or raccoons out of my raised bed. See picture

If this does not applie to you, this will work. See video

Here is a link that might be useful: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1EODB_enUS563US563&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=praying%20mantis%20vs%20cat

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

Wait - your raised beds are on the roof of an at-least 2 story house - AND you have 3.5' tall fencing around it - and it STILL doesn't deter racoons???

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    9 years ago

On one thread a vet said something like this: Not all cats are infected with toxiplasmosis [sp]. Also if I remember right, they have it for just a short while.

• Damien99
    9 years ago

Im lucky habanero peppers in the grinder once a month the freeway cats found a new litter box.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

No cat should be allowed outdoors. Ever. EVER. Any cat can be taught to live safely and contentedly indoors. All it takes is about 30 days' patience and always having a pot of indoor kitty grass.

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

My cats are ALL outdoor cats. They're "barn cats" that were feral kittens we took to the animal control, who fixed and vaccinated for free, then returned them to be our barn cats. They take care of the vermin and give my dog something to bark at! Nancy

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    9 years ago

I think this fits. If you want outdoor cats, then you'd better put up with your garden being a cat litter box. It is, after all, used as a litter box by all the other outdoor creatures there. Yes, Toxoplasmosis is often carried by feral cats, but it's also carried by the majority of farm animals, and lots of rodents and birds. How much squirrel poop do you have in your garden?

Cook your meat, and wash your hands and your veggies. Just because your cats aren't using your garden as a litter box doesn't mean that your garden is sterile.

• Scott Frame
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

There are semi feral cats that ended up using my small garden as litter box. I am out in rural land to mine is open to all wild critters as well. Though not see many others than rabbit here and there. So going on what is said , might as well give up on mine and just buy my food at the store. As I don't relish the idea of moving out all the bad soil and replace it.. I don't know how are grandparents survived when you get done reading some info via the web. Or those that live on a farm.

• digdirt2
    7 years ago

"So going on what is said , might as well give up on mine and just buy my food at the store."

I'm sorry you came to that conclusion. It isn't the message most shared above.

Dave

• Pyewacket
    7 years ago

As if buying your food at the grocery means it comes to you clean, LOL!

Well it doesn't. And given the horrid conditions most farm workers are forced to put up with - such as no or insufficient bathroom facilities - I guarantee you there is more than a bit of squirrel poop to worry about.

• Scott Frame
    7 years ago

I guess then we are all domed. Arnt we ,don't have the funds to spend re-doing cat poop safe garden nor the good back . So I will take my chances at supermarket like I have past 50 yrs.

• garybeaumont_gw
    7 years ago

Just thinking, why not put in a nice 4X4 foot sandbox. If you keep it weed free, I would think the cats would like it better than your raised beds. I know as a kid that was the first place a cat liked to go.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    7 years ago

Well holy crap (pun intended). Unless your garden is covered in the stuff, just scoop out the cat poop, spread on some mulch, and move on. Then use some sort of physical barrier that prevents the cat(s) from using the garden as a litter box.

Rodney

• Scott Frame
    7 years ago

Ya pretty much most of this winter it became the spot for 6 cats. There was a barrier worked well for pet cats. Half barrier went down when the moved indoors

By time i noticed what happen it became litter box of stray cat family. I may have a friend make legged garden beds so I don't have to bend over. If not then just flowers

• authereray
    7 years ago

'The Martian', movie staring Matt Damon see how Matt Damon grows potatoes on Mars. Interesting. A little cat might not look so bad!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

Out of the 3 latest outer-space movies based on modern science and not star-wars junk, Gravity broke every obvious rule of gravity, Interstellar was not quite as bad, But the Martian was borderline bad but touched on not too future possibilities. The cat needs to much protein. Leave it back on earth unless it was you best pet that you had stuffed after its natural death.

6b Steve

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County