Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thatstat

Cukes Gone Wild - Suggestions?

THatstat
11 years ago

Hi folks! It seems that my Bonnie Burpless Hybrid Cucumbers just are happy as can be...in the last two weeks the plants have grown nearly 3 feet to 4 feet tall with side shoots, flowers galore and more tiny little cucumbers than I dare count. Problem is, they have reached the top of the 4-foot trellis I build and show no sign of stopping. I have reached a point where I need to do something.

Option 1 - Cut the main stalk and halt growth upwards and let the cukes just flesh out.

Option 2 - Let the cukes grow over the top of the trellis and straight down the other side (not sure how that would feel to the vine with the weight of the plant and eventual fruit hanging with nothing but lil tendrils for support).

Option 3 - Build an extended angled trellis for the plants to sprawl outwards and gently sloping downwards. Sort of like this -
________
/_]_]_]_]_]_]\
/_]_]_]_]_]_]_\
/_]_]_]_]_]_]_]_\

with the same material I used for the trellis forming the web inside for the plant to lay across.

I am thinking option 3 is the best choice but this is Mr. Slap-Dash, Learning on a Go Gardener here =)

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

Comments (2)