Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vidalia or sweet onions here in New England?

Posted by mmqchdygg Z5NH (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 13, 09 at 10:53

I see yellow onions, and red ones, but I don't recall seeing a sweet onion or Vidalia. Is there such a thing as growing them here in NE, or are they limited to south of here? I tried onions from seed last year, and that was a waste of time. Can I grow these from grocery store onions, or are there ones in the feed stores? Sorry, onion newbie here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vidalia or sweet onions here in New England?

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 13, 09 at 11:04

mmqchdygg

Vidalias and many sweet yellow onions do grow only in the South, but that does not mean you can't grow great onions in New Hampshire.

You folks in New Hampshire must grow long day onions. Alisa Craig looks like a sweet long-day onion, and there are several red ones.

Dixondale Farms (in the links above) is a premier supplier of onion transplants. I'm not sure if your time for planting them is over, but if you put in your zip code, the shipping dates for your area will display.

And no, the grocery store onions can't be planted to make bigger ones! Local feed stores may certainly have long-day onions that will grow well in your area.

o

Anney gave you very good advice above.

Another onion, also carried by Dixondale, which makes a very large onion with the POTENTIAL to be sweet, up here in the north, is Wala Wala. Those and the Alisa Craigs were my largest and sweetest onions last year. I had quite a few of both well over a lb, and some must have been approaching 2 lbs (although I didn't weigh any of them).

You should realize that more than just variety goes into making an onion "sweet" or "hot" -- a lot of it has to do with care and soil chemistry. LOTS of moisture (but well-drained soil and attention to disease control) and fertilizer makes onions grow fast and large, making them sweet and juicy. And, soil that is very low in sulfur also helps a lot, since the "hot" components of onions are sulfur compounds.

o

Excellent! Thanks so much, anney & den-
I placed an order for the Wala Wala...hope that supplies are still available. I got there just in time; my ship-date is April 27- yay! I don't get too much into the chemical composition of my soil- we have 'good' soil, and live on farm property. The fields have been hayed, or grown corn all the years I was growing up (hay in the last 20 or so), and our house sits in the middle of a 100-year old apple orchard, so I 'think' I'm all set.

I realize that a lot more goes into the 'science' of gardening than what I'm willing to put in, but overall, I've had decent results even when I'm NOT paying attention. But this onion thing is new to me, so if results are that bad, I might be inclined to think about getting out the chemistry set next time. I'll 'wing it' this time, and keep the note in the back of my head for now. Thanks!

o

If you end up with sweet onion that aren't all that sweet check your soil (get a soil test done) for sulfur.

The really sweet onions at the grocery are generally grown on soils with little sulfur. It's difficult to replicate in the home garden.

Some of the chili heads looking for the hottest peppers possible add sulfur to their soil to get them hotter, but when you want sweet onions, avoid adding anything with sulfur in it to the soil (no epsom salts). If you are fertilizing with anything, check to see if it contains sulfur (any sulfates)

o

So there's something sorta 'right' about that commercial with the guy dumping stuff all over his onion patch to make them hot, huh? LOL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here