Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lexie1397

Tilling raised beds?

lexie1397
10 years ago

DH put in four 4x8 raised beds and is convinced we need a tiller for them. I am less convinced. How do you recommend mixing in new compost each year?

Comments (15)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Age and health?

No doubt a mini-tiller is easiest and fastest but if age and health allow then it can easily be mixed in with hand tools - fork, hoe, etc. in beds that small. It isn't like it has to be buried deep after all.

Alternative is just to top layer it on several times throughout the year as both a mulch and a side dressing and let the natural actions of planting, weeding, harvesting and the soil food web do the work for you.

Dave

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

Dave's right, of course, but I got a little tiller from a neighbor a couple of years ago and love it!
    I add my compost and give it a little fluff up Spring and Fall. It also makes it look nice! LOL Nancy

• tracydr
    10 years ago

I have a small electric tiller and I love it for mixing in manure vans fluffing g!

• elisa_z5
    10 years ago

Darwin discovered that the worms mix it in. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Darwin and worms on NPR

• lgteacher
    10 years ago

How deep are the raised beds? An advantage of raised beds is that you put good soil in them and don't have to till.

Here is a link that might be useful: raised bed garden

• japus
    10 years ago

I've had 5 raised beds for over 10 years, I used a small electric tiller that did the job extremely well.
    I don't need the tiller any more since I went to the SFG method.
    All I do now is toss in a couple trowels of compost, mix it up and plant.
    I can take my hand and go straight to the bottom of the bed now, Couldn't do that when I used soil.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

I use my Mantis in the raised beds. Wouldn't use anything larger.

Otherwise, I end up with a foot of mulch on top and the soil hidden underneath.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

What is the SFG method??

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    It is short for Square Foot Gardening.

In this method everything is planted within very tight space. So when you plant everything, the whole bed is REALLY turned/tilled by your trowel,( as you dig hole, fluff up,)
    I do till my RBs by shovel. I used to have a broad fork. That is good too. Then of course , I have a total of less than 200 sqr-ft

• mckenziek
    10 years ago

I have a pointy hoe. I use that and a rake. I have a tiller but it is way too big to put in a raised bed. I do use the tiller to loosen the soil when I put in a new bed.

I might get one of those Stihl tiller attachments for the Kombi motor power head. That would make tilling a raised bed easier.

--McKenzie

• cold_weather_is_evil
    10 years ago

>> The plan this year is to till and mix no matter what so the
    >> roots don't encounter drastically different nutrients as they grow..

Digging a little bit with a hand trowel to make a planting hole does this.

>> I just don't know whether tilling is the right long term maintenance.

As one works for the long term one is effectively working to make tilling unnecessary. I shovel-dug each raised bed when each was first started, and never ever again.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Digging a little bit with a hand trowel to make a planting hole does this.

%%%%%%%%%%%%
    I agree. If tilling is too much work for you, just use your hand shovel/trowel when you are planting seedlings. Get a wider/bigger one and dig a bigger hole. You can add/mix in ferts, compost, manure .. at the same time. You should be free from fertilizing for a while too. Most plants like/appreciate fluffed up soil when they are young. Once they grow good amount of roots, then they can manage to grow roots even in compacted soil, provided it is moist.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

With raised beds, the soil compacts over time and material washes out. So it has to be replaced and lstirred together, one way or another. A little tiller is one way to do that.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

I use a garden pitchfork or a shovel but my bed is only 3 x 8' currently.

• djkj
    10 years ago

For an 18'' raised bed, you could use a fork and just work up the soil. We had 16'' raised beds and never had to use a tiller. Tillers are good but make sure you don't shred the worms!