Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tilling raised beds?

Posted by lexie1397 10 (lnspellman@gmail.com) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 11:07

DH put in four 4x8 raised beds and is convinced we need a tiller for them. I am less convinced. How do you recommend mixing in new compost each year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tilling raised beds?

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 11:15

Age and health?

No doubt a mini-tiller is easiest and fastest but if age and health allow then it can easily be mixed in with hand tools - fork, hoe, etc. in beds that small. It isn't like it has to be buried deep after all.

Alternative is just to top layer it on several times throughout the year as both a mulch and a side dressing and let the natural actions of planting, weeding, harvesting and the soil food web do the work for you.

Dave

o

Dave's right, of course, but I got a little tiller from a neighbor a couple of years ago and love it!
I add my compost and give it a little fluff up Spring and Fall. It also makes it look nice! LOL Nancy

o

I have a small electric tiller and I love it for mixing in manure vans fluffing g!

o

Darwin discovered that the worms mix it in. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Darwin and worms on NPR

o

How deep are the raised beds? An advantage of raised beds is that you put good soil in them and don't have to till.

Here is a link that might be useful: raised bed garden

o

I've had 5 raised beds for over 10 years, I used a small electric tiller that did the job extremely well.
I don't need the tiller any more since I went to the SFG method.
All I do now is toss in a couple trowels of compost, mix it up and plant.
I can take my hand and go straight to the bottom of the bed now, Couldn't do that when I used soil.

o

I use my Mantis in the raised beds. Wouldn't use anything larger.

Otherwise, I end up with a foot of mulch on top and the soil hidden underneath.

o

The beds are 18" high. We filled them with leaf and manure compost from a few different sources. I have a compost pile but havent made near enough in the last year to fill new beds! At the moment the different composts are in layers. The plan this year is to till and mix no matter what so the roots dont encounter drastically different nutrients as they grow.. I just dont know whether tilling is the right long term maintenance. I am all for the low-tech KISS ideas... worms are totally my speed.

What is the SFG method??

o

What is the SFG method??

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
It is short for Square Foot Gardening.

In this method everything is planted within very tight space. So when you plant everything, the whole bed is REALLY turned/tilled by your trowel,( as you dig hole, fluff up,)
I do till my RBs by shovel. I used to have a broad fork. That is good too. Then of course , I have a total of less than 200 sqr-ft

o

I have a pointy hoe. I use that and a rake. I have a tiller but it is way too big to put in a raised bed. I do use the tiller to loosen the soil when I put in a new bed.

I might get one of those Stihl tiller attachments for the Kombi motor power head. That would make tilling a raised bed easier.

--McKenzie

o

>> The plan this year is to till and mix no matter what so the
>> roots don't encounter drastically different nutrients as they grow..

Digging a little bit with a hand trowel to make a planting hole does this.

>> I just don't know whether tilling is the right long term maintenance.

As one works for the long term one is effectively working to make tilling unnecessary. I shovel-dug each raised bed when each was first started, and never ever again.

o

Digging a little bit with a hand trowel to make a planting hole does this.

%%%%%%%%%%%%
I agree. If tilling is too much work for you, just use your hand shovel/trowel when you are planting seedlings. Get a wider/bigger one and dig a bigger hole. You can add/mix in ferts, compost, manure .. at the same time. You should be free from fertilizing for a while too. Most plants like/appreciate fluffed up soil when they are young. Once they grow good amount of roots, then they can manage to grow roots even in compacted soil, provided it is moist.

o

With raised beds, the soil compacts over time and material washes out. So it has to be replaced and lstirred together, one way or another. A little tiller is one way to do that.

o

I use a garden pitchfork or a shovel but my bed is only 3 x 8' currently.

o

• Posted by djkj 9b (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 12:43

For an 18'' raised bed, you could use a fork and just work up the soil. We had 16'' raised beds and never had to use a tiller. Tillers are good but make sure you don't shred the worms!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here