Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Too late for peas?

2ajsmama
10 years ago

We had some nice weather for a few days mid-month, but last week it turned cold again with almost every night below freezing (some nights in the mid-20's) and over 1" of rain on Tues so I haven't planted anything out. I'm trying again to get my lettuce and kale hardened off (it's been going in the basement at night and that washout day), hope it doesn't bolt but is it too late now to plant peas?

Highs are going to be around 60, lows mid-30's to low 40's after Wed night's predicted low of 32. But we never know if a month from now the temps are going to be 10 degrees higher (average) or if we could have a frost - LFD is mid-May.

I'm a bit limited on trellis space, I don't know if it's going to be too warm too soon for peas, or if they're going to be maturing too late to succession plant (I could just plant edible pods)? Should I just wait and use that space for pole beans, cukes, etc.? I've never really had luck with peas, but DD likes them (though she likes to wait for the seeds to get large in the snow peas and then eat them like English peas).

Comments (9)

• Slimy_Okra
    10 years ago

I have the same issue here every year lately. It stays cold too long and then warms up too quickly. Typically, I sow them now and begin harvesting in late June, with a harvest window of about three weeks before they succumb to heat. I've always grown them in full sun though - maybe part sun would be better...

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just checked what I had for seed, guess I don't have any open packets left from last year so all I have for peas are bush types Snowbird and Dwarf Grey Sugar, so don't need trellis. I also have fava beans which I read should be planted early with peas, not after frost like most beans. Sounded interesting (free packet) but I don't know about 83 days - even 65 days for DGS might be getting too warm?

I guess I'll throw the Snowbirds out there now, see how they do. Should I wait until after Wed night's low of 32?

Just concerned with rain also forecast for Tuesday & Wed - I've had peas rot on me in cold wet springs. Tried a mid-summer planting for a fall crop last year and they just didn't do much - though at least they grew a little bit, got a few pods off them.

• Slimy_Okra
    10 years ago

Faba beans are great - just as cold tolerant as peas but much more heat-tolerant as well.
    I would sow the peas now.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

I planted my snap peas on April 6th and they are just now sprouting. The seeds have gone through rain, snow, and freezes just fine (granted they are in 6 inch raised beds). They should be producing in June. I never expect peas to produce for very long but they taste great and are definitely worth it.

If you do plan to plant peas you should do so as soon as possible.

Rodney

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

Now is a perfect time to plant peas.

I too, like the snow peas to fill out and get bigger. I eat the whole pod. Great crunch.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

Now is a perfect time to plant peas.

I too, like the snow peas to fill out and get bigger. I eat the whole pod. Great crunch.

• keith100_gw
    10 years ago

I think you are not too late, I'd say about perfect. . I have been planting Wando peas lately and they seem to hold on well later than most. For whatever reason mine always grow close to 6 feet tall and I trellis them. The packet says they don't grow that tall, but mine have for three consecutive years now. They also seem more forgiven if you can't pick them on the day you would think they are perfect. Good luck!
    Keith

• williammorgan
    10 years ago

I'm a little north of you but our zone is 6b, I planted late March. Normally we plant mid March. You've gotta do what you gotta do. I'd say in the future cheat. You could easily fashion a small greenhouse over a bed to get the soil ready earlier. Little clear plastic, pvc hoops and you can get a jump on the season before the weather gets hot. My people are only just forming their first leaves. I think in the future I'll be cheating too. Or should I say cheating some more.

• mallory28 - zone 5
    10 years ago

I planted Sutton's Harbinger peas April 5, and they just popped up today. Soil temperature is around 49 degrees by me now. I'd say get them in. A link to soil temperatures: http://www.isws.illinois.edu/warm/soiltemp/displaymap.asp?data=bst#toptitlebar