Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bernard_in_ohio

When will rhubarb crowns sprout?

I don't mind waiting, but I'm concerned. I bought three each of Cawood and Macdonald crowns from Nourse Farms. I thought they'd be super hard when they arrived, but there was just a little give to the touch.

I kept them misted, cool, and in the dark for 72 hours, then planted them in top soil with a little mushroom compost, a sprinkle of sand, and cypress blend mulch. I planted them with the hairy parts pointing down and the cut off stems pointing up.

That was 8 days ago. There's 3 sprouts where I planted the crowns, but I'm not sure they're rhubarb. They look like they could be rhubarb, but they also look a lot like a weed that's growing nearby, and they really don't look like the pics of rhubarb sprouts I see elsewhere on line.

I give the rhubarb bed the soaker hose real low every other day or so. At least there's something sprouting where I planted the crowns, so I am hopeful.

How long should rhubarb take to sprout, under the circumstances? The person at Nourse I reached on the phone said to wait five weeks to be sure, but that doesn't seem reasonable. Given the season, it should be leaping out of the ground, right? Since it's not, is it dead? Do the crowns have crown rot, do you think?

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

"Leaping out of the ground?"

No, sorry but 5 days is nothing. It will take several weeks for those just-planted crowns to settle in and germinate new growth. That is pretty much standard.

Assuming you didn't plant them too deep and that you don't continue to over-water them which can lead to crown rot, once the soil warms a bit more you should start seeing some distinctive new growth within 3-5 weeks.

Patience is called for. :)

Dave

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I agree with Dave that you're probably overwatering.

• bernard_in_ohio_Medina_Zone_5b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello, Dave and floral uk �"

Thanks very much for responding to my question. I went ahead and removed the little things that looked like rhubarb, and sure enough: imposters. Onto the compost heap with them.

I hope I haven't watered the crowns too much. I'm optimistic because at least the drainage at that spot is the best in the yard. In any case, I can't remember exactly how much I've watered them. But now I think I will give them the drip three times spread over every two-week period. If that's wrong, I hope you will let me know.

I thought they would start up right away because the crowns are so big and fat, and I keep reading that rhubarb is the first to sprout and ripen in the spring. I should have realized that roots have to settle in thoroughly before there's any action at the surface.

I am a total newby �" have plenty of time and enthusiasm, but not much knowledge and even less experience.

Thanks again !

Bernard

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Dave can probably help with the amount of water it needs. In my climate I never water. Nature sees to that!

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

But now I think I will give them the drip three times spread over every two-week period. If that's wrong, I hope you will let me know.

One of the first things to learn as a new gardener is you water when the plant needs it not on some sort of artificial schedule the gardener makes up. :)

There are too many variables involved for any "this is Tuesday so I have to water" schedule to work. When the weather is cool plants need less water, as it warms up they need more. If it rains then you need to know how much. That's what rain gauges are for. Floral is lucky to live in a much wetter climate than many of us on this side of the pond. So what is your climate like?

You need to notice if it has been cloudy and overcast for the past few days or full sun for days. And you need to notice how well your soil drains - how long does it take for it to dry out. Not just surface drying but root deep drying.

You can tell when the plant needs it by sticking your fingers in the soil down to the root level and feeling the moisture content. If it feels cool or damp then you don't water.

Then once the leaves develop notice the turgor - the tension in the leaf surfaces. If they are firm and the leaf surface fully expanded, no water is needed. If softening or floppy they need water.

And once it is leafing don't forget to feed it a diluted to 1/2 strength well-balanced fertilizer.

Dave