Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ldj1002

Blanching necessary when freezing?

ldj1002
14 years ago

Is it necessary? I have read several places and get all different instructions on amount of time to blanch. Also get different instructions when to start counting time when water returns to boil or start timing when vegetables are put in water. With all different instructions, it seems like it is haphazard and perhaps unnecessary. I don't ever remember my Mother blanching. Seems I remember her putting them in a container, covering vegetables with water and freeze. I have searched web and can't find out this method. Blanching is a time consuming messy chore that I would like to leave out. Does anyone here freeze without blanching?

Comments (11)

• fritz_monroe
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It depends on what you are freezing. Peppers are fine to freeze without blanching. However, if you freeze snap beans without freezing, you will end up beans that will never get tender. They will seem like you are eating a twig.

• anney
    14 years ago

I agree with fritz -- it all depends on what the vegetable is. I freeze about 50 or so whole ears of corn still in their shucks each year without blanching them, and they taste fresh all year! I do blanch the corn I cut off the cob.

The Harvest Forum has lots of information about storing food from your garden, canning, freezing, drying. You might get some good answers there.

• shirleywny5
    14 years ago

Blanching is necessary to stop the enzyme action that causes ripening. Some vegetables do not need blanching like onion and peppers. Follow the directions on the NCHFP website. I use a large kettle for blanching as the water returns to a boil sooner than if I used a small kettle. When the water is at a rapid boil, I place in the recommended amount of vegetables. Never put in more than directions say. I start counting as soon as the vegetables are placed in the boiling water. I don't cover and I do stir ocassionally, then remove to ice water just until the are cooled, then place on a tray to drain and cool enough to place in freezer containers.

• bcskye
    14 years ago

I blanch some items I freeze, but, like anney, I don't blanch corn on the cob and it tastes just like freshly picked all year.

• skagit_goat_man_
    14 years ago

I'd get the Ball Book on food preservation or an extension service publication on freezing and get the detailed information you need. If you go to all the work of growing quality food you should preserve them in a first class procedure. Tom

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

As the others mentioned, the Harvest Forum here is food preservation focused so be sure to review the many discussions there on this issue. The link below is to the National Center for Home Food Preservation, the recognized authority on home food processing. You'll find detailed freezing and prep directions for each food.

Per the General Instructions:

Blanching

Blanching (scalding vegetables in boiling water or steam for a short time) is a must for almost all vegetables to be frozen. It stops enzyme actions which can cause loss of flavor, color and texture.

Blanching cleanses the surface of dirt and organisms, brightens the color and helps retard loss of vitamins. It also wilts or softens vegetables and makes them easier to pack.

Blanching time is crucial and varies with the vegetable and size. Underblanching stimulates the activity of enzymes and is worse than no blanching. Overblanching causes loss of flavor, color, vitamins and minerals. Follow recommended blanching times.

As ongoing research proves, the way Mom or Grandma may have done it is not necessarily the safe way to do it. ;)

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - How to Freeze Vegetables

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    14 years ago

My reference for freezing has always been the Ball Blue Book, which was based upon government food safety recommendations. I blanch corn, greens, beans (snap & shell), peas, edamame soybeans, okra, and zucchini prior to freezing. Peppers and tomatoes (both pre-sliced for use on pizza) are frozen raw on cookie sheets, then vacuum sealed in bags. Hardneck garlic stores poorly, so I peel & freeze the raw cloves to make them last throughout the year.

Shell beans & butterbean limas seem to actually improve in texture after being blanched & frozen; it softens the skins.

I will even fully cook a few vegetables prior to freezing. This works well for whole Asian eggplant, which I cook, peel, and freeze. As crazy as it sounds, I even freeze some winter squash - I prefer the starchy, potato-like texture of the fresh-picked squash, and try to preserve some of it in that stage. If freezing a lot of sweet corn, I will sometimes fully cook a large amount (I have a huge Asian steamer), cool it quickly in a large tub under running water, then drain & freeze. This is not quite as good in quality as preparing corn-on-the-cob in small batches for the recommended blanching time, but it is a major time saver when freezing 100 ears or more. This corn only needs to be heated when needed, not cooked.

The blanching times refer to a full kettle of boiling water, and about one pound of the vegetable to be frozen. I will weigh the first batch of cut vegetables, then using that amount as a reference, just measure following batches by volume. I notice that when I follow these rules, the water in the kettle is generally returning to a boil just about when the blanching time is up. I've also noticed that properly blanched vegetables sink when cooled, and have an even color. I use these observations, and tailor the blanching time accordingly.

Despite the recommendations, I have had poor results with anything blanched less than 3 minutes (such as greens & small limas), so that is my minimum blanching time.

Some recommendations call for the use of ice for cooling; I have found that submerging the blanched vegetables in cold water (preferably under a cold running tap) for a period equal to the time used for blanching, gives good results. They should be transferred quickly, since cooking will continue until cooling begins; freezing kettles or pasta kettles with large baskets are best for this purpose. Two identical kettles works really well, since one basket can be cooling, while the other is cooking... a real time saver when freezing a large quantity. Whether blanching or cooling, stir frequently, especially for the first minute.

Properly blanched vegetables have a very long storage life, provided they are stored at about 0 F. degrees or below. These temperatures are seldom achieved by the icebox on top of the refrigerator - if in doubt, check with a thermometer. A stand-alone freezer is best for anything other than short-term preservation. Protection from freezer burn is also essential for long-term storage, especially for easily-dried veggies like greens & snap beans; vacuum sealing is the best method.

Of course, preservation itself is only half of the story. Even properly frozen vegetables can be unsatisfactory, if improperly thawed & prepared. I had that experience for years with frozen snap beans, which are easily overcooked; but if prepared without thawing, and quickly warmed - not cooked - the beans had the same "squeak" as fresh picked.

• Mac McNorton
    8 years ago

my wife an I have looked for ways to freeze eggplants with out blanching..any hep out there.

• digdirt2
    8 years ago

Mac - this is a very old thread so you'll get more results by starting a new discussion and post it over on the Harvest forum (the food preservation forum here direct linked in the Related Forums list on this forum). You'll find discussions running there right now about how to deal with eggplants.

But the short answer to your question is it can't be done without some form of pre-cooking - be that blanching, lightly roasting, etc. - because it turns black and spoils so quickly. Which method you use for that depends on how you plan to use the eggplant when thawed. For the common eggplant dishes most of us either batter dip and lightly broil and then freeze or brush with olive oil, roast 1/2 way and then freeze. Check out harvest forum for more details.

Dave

• nancyjane_gardener
    8 years ago

I have found, for an ice bath, rather than using up all of your ice cubes, freeze a juice jug (1/2 gal or so) and put it in the sink well ahead of time. It will last a bunch of blanchings! Before I figured this out I had actually gone and bought bags of ice!

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company