Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snow peas, whats eating them?

Posted by terrybug 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 11:46

Here is a photo, i hope it uploaded, first time posting photo. I just notice this yesterday what can I use to protect it from being eaten all up? thanks for your help.
Terry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snow peas, whats eating them?

Some of it looks like slugs and snail damage. The V notch bites on some leaves can also be from birds this time of year. Grasshoppers is another possibility although it is early for them.

Dave

o

I did see a bird picking at it, also have seen grasshoppers in my yard. If its slugs or snail what can i use to stop them? Thanks. Here is another photo.
Terry

o

Last pic really looks like slugs. This time of year they are very small and difficult to see unless you go out at night with a flashlight.

There are any number of slug and snail pesticide baits on the market, some organic, some not but most are jusy iron phosphate. Sluggo is one brand name.

Plus there are all sorts of tips and tricks for controls ranging from beer and/or board traps to copper wire/tape to crushed egg shells on the soil surface to the good old flashlight and a salt shaker to sprinkle them with (works well for containers or small beds).

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Slug Control discussions

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here