Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gnats or Fleas

Posted by terrybug 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 12:00

Hello all., for several weeks I have notice tiny gnats or maybe there r fleas all over my plants. Most are in cell packs. Is there anything I can use to get rid of them? Anything homemade? Do they do any kind of damage?
Thank you for your help with this matter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gnats or Fleas

Bugs are part of gardening and you shouldn't worry about them unless they pose a problem. A lot insects are actually insects you WANT on your plants... I love seeing lady bugs and assassin bugs hiding on my plants.

Pictures would be needed to ID whatever it is you have to determine if it's something you should be worried about. There's also a forum for IDing possible pests where you're likely to get better answers. It's below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pests and Diseases

This post was edited by IAmSupernova on Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 12:45

o

Are there a lot, or just a few?

I get them every year, gnats, or what have you, here and there, on my seedlings I grow under lights and on windowsills. When I see one on a leaf, I smoosh it, but I don't really worry too much about them. It happens every year and my plants do just fine when I get them in the ground outside. I think it may have something to do with wet soil inside the house. I never have houseplants (although I would like too) because it always attracts these gnats we are talking about.

Lindsey

o

Thanks for the replies. this is the first time this has happen to me. I don't start indoors always outdoors, but the weather here in so cal have been wierd, hot then cold then hot again n then cold. But i have read that it could be due to wet soil. Thanks again.
Terry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here