Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late for overgrown asparagus spears?

Posted by mattjjd24 4 upstate NY (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 11, 10 at 12:03

I have been away for the past 4 or 5 days, and in that time my asparagus has ROCKETED up!! Now, what were stumpy 2 inch spears are a good 18 inches. When this happens now, and in the future, should I let those spears go or can I still pick them? There are no branhes yet, and other spears forming adn growing around them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late for overgrown asparagus spears?

Strange to see an 18" spear that hasn't branched and ferned. If they're intact as you say, cut them off at the soil line (as ALL asparagus is cut) and eat the top, tender part, and discard the toughter bottom part. If by some miracle it's all tender, cut it in manageable lengths and eat it all.

o

If the bottom part is tough don't throw it away!

Peel the fibrous skin and eat the tender, juicy insides. Too tender to cook but pefect for salads if you can resist eating the juicy cores as you peel.

o

The tallest spears were a bit stringy, but overall, it was delicious!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here