Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flako_gw

Input on my Setup (Tomatoe)

Flako
10 years ago

Good day everyone I just wanted to see if I can get some of the experienced gardeners to give me their input on the way I wish to setup my Tomatoes. This is the 1st time Im trying to grow a garden{{gwi:807}}. I started from seed in a light box and im hoping to transplant with in 3 weeks San Marzano tomatoes.

Anyhow,

I have a 4 by 7 foot patch (not a raised bed) that I have prepared. Im wainting to put 2 wood Lattice (2x6) For my tomatoes plants and at their feed plant 20 - 30 Onion bulbs. If I have enough space plant some basil in between the tomatoe plants.

Here is a quick drawing I made to explain myself a bit better.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb50/zoriloco/TomateSetup_zps4ae24fd6.png

This post was edited by Flako on Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 12:45

Comments (6)

• bb
    10 years ago

tomatoes from seed are usually started 6-8 weeks before transplant. they need to get to at least their 3rd set of true leaves, then you will need to harden them, preferably in the shade or a few cloudy days before putting them in your garden.
    hope this doesn't wreck your timetable.

• Flako
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmmm.... I was hoping to start hardening my plants at 5 weeks for a week or so. Today I saw them producing 2nd leaves. The packaging for the seeds said to plant outside by May So I figured I could just plant them about a month and a half ahead of that time indoors. Does it sound like this wont happen? My little plants are looking nice if I may say. Would hate to lose them during transplant.

Any input on the setup with the onions and Basil?

Little pic of them at 5 days. Im at about 9 days today.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb50/zoriloco/1WeekGarden2014018_zps27562985.jpg

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

FYI, since you have already uploaded the pics to photobucket, if you copy the HTML link and paste the link into the body of your message it will put the photo in as well.

From the pic of your tomatoes, they are just getting their first "true" set of leaves. The set of leaves they grew when they first sprouted were the seedling leaves or cotyledons. And it's hard to tell from the photo since it's so up close and there's no scale to it but they look a bit leggy. What size pot are they in? What type of pot is it? (it doesn't look like plastic) What type of potting soil? Have you fertilized? What kind of light are they getting? What's the temperature? Lots more information needed.

For when to start tomato seeds you have to figure out the average last frost date for your area. 6-8 weeks ahead of that date is when you should start your seeds indoors. There is nothing wrong with starting them later (as in 4-5 weeks ahead of your average last frost date) except they will be smaller plants when you transplant them to your garden and they might take longer to set fruit.

I can't help much with your plan except to say that if it were me I'd try to fit in at least one more tomato plant. The onions will be gone in mid-summer so you'll be able to plant something else there for a fall crop.

Rodney

This post was edited by theforgottenone1013 on Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 14:22

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    10 years ago

It looks like you are planning to grow two tomato plants along the long side of your plot with 3 rows of onions in front of them and basil sprinkled around. And you plan to tie each tomato to a trellis that is 6 feet tall. If so, I think it will work. An issue you might face is that the trellis may not be strong enough to hold up the plants, especially if it's very windy. It also could shade your plants unless it's very open and placed on the north side of the garden. San Marzano tomatoes can get very big, and if they're growing well, they will be heavy with fruit.

The other question is about whether your onions are already planted and where you live. Onions need to be planted very early, and in some areas even in fall. They have very shallow roots and can be harmed if you step on or cultivate the soil around them. Your seed packet may say to put the tomatoes out in May, but that timing depends on your zone's last frost date.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

{{gwi:40512}}Your photo

Should work ok although lattice isn't one of the best supports as it tends to easily pop the staples from the weight. Metal fencing would work better.

Dave

• carolparrish
    10 years ago

I am planting my tomatoes along a 4 foot wire fence I put up last year for my peas to vine up. I am not quite sure how I am going to attach them but I will figure it out.